Gitout.com - Ultimate Expedition Build - 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

Igorskiy86

Observer
Awesome, another question for you, with your lift did you end up doing a subframe drop or did you leave everything alone. I will be adding about an inch more lift to mine and just want to make sure that I don't encounter problems with my axles.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Decided against the subframe lift. It is only suspension.

Originally, the subframe drop would have resolved the front tires rubbing the upper fender on full compression (35" tires). But the front CV axles are not strong enough to handle 35s reliably. After breaking one, I went to 34s. These tires are the perfect size for the truck. Took it through the Rubicon and many, many other trails without any issues. Reliability is the highest priority.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Amazing build!

Did you go with the King 25001-265 or the 25001-265A shocks?
Do you recall the valving you chose when purchasing your King rear shocks?
I'm looking to invest in some, and was wondering if you selected the HD valving.

Any idea how these would mate with OME HD rear springs?

I'm having a heck of a time keeping the rear OME HD shocks from blowing seals...

Any info. you recall would be helpful.

Cheers

montypower

Adventure Time!
Mine were custom valving for the weight 25001-265. Call Ben @ Filthymotorsports. They will valve and have them built for whatever you like. Mine was valved to carry 800-1000 lbs over stock for high speed type driving.

Springs don't matter as much as the load you plan to carry. You may end up with custom springs depending on the load / height desired. I ended up with custom rear springs and spacer to achieve height and load capacity.

They work awesome! Only complaint... extremely difficult to adjust front coilover height when on the truck. I'd go with their stock front springs as well. I had the 600lb then went to 550lb and it was still a bit over sprung even with bumper, winch, skids, etc...

You'll need to clearance the upper a-arms to avoid contact with springs. Same problem with OME suspension.

Ride quality and high speed stability is exceptional. Makes the truck a blast on the back roads. Manual shift gears and run in AWD. :)

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Thanks for the response!

I'll give Ben a call to chat about valving.

At this time I am only considering swapping out the rear shocks. My hope is to keep my OME HD springs in the rear and the complete OME HD front coilover assembly. Strange you mentioned that the OME front assembly contacts the upper a-arms...I've never had an issue with this...

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers

montypower

Adventure Time!
You bet.

Maybe there was a change on the 03+ trucks. I've seen it on another newer monty as well. Would contact at full extension. Have fun!

Monty03

I know this thread is a bit old but can you show me some more info regarding the snorkel and maybe how it’s fitted if you did an install thread? Trying to find one for my 2003 20th aniv edition 3.8p and I just can’t come up with much. Thanks

montypower

Adventure Time!
It's from ARB - Safari Snorkel. Fairly simple install (follow directions). Search ARB website for part #.

Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles