Giant Loop Armadillo Bag utility bladder review

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
The fine folks at Giant Loop Moto sent me a 5 gallon prototype of their new Armadillo Bag utility bladder to test drive over the summer and the new bag did not disappoint. I’d been using their original 5 gallon fuel bags to carry extra petrol (that original review is here) on a few trips for the previous year and I wasn’t sure what could be improved. When the new Armadillo Bag arrived, a couple things that stood out immediately were the new reinforcement around the spout collar and a dedicated storage pocket for the included spout. Both were welcome additions from my experience. I was able to test the bag with 5 gallons of fuel in some pretty hardy conditions, up to 11,000+ feet altitude in Colorado and in temperatures as high as 112° in Nevada. The bag performed flawlessly. One of my reasons for using the reservoir in the first place is how compact it is when I’m not using it, and that hasn’t changed. New lower price doesn’t hurt either.
IMG_3513.jpg
IMG_3560.jpg
IMG_3574.jpg
IMG_5192.jpg
IMG_5262.jpg

Last edited:

geoffff

Observer
Neat!

Note, these are for fuel not water. (Not obvious to me at first.)

The larger ones could be useful to make use of awkwardly-shaped storage areas where a rigid container wouldn't fit well. Like maybe inside a hollow custom bumper. (Hmmm, or maybe that particular example is not the best idea....)

I might use their little one instead of the ItzaGasCan Emergency One-Time Use Gas Can I already have (not used yet) for situations where I might have to hike or bicycle out of somewhere remote to fetch emergency fuel.

51wbEi3daqL._AC_.jpg

Nice language there on their website, attempting to avoid USA legal requirements for gasoline containers!

Wilbah

Adventurer
This is going to come off as harsh and I don't mean it that way. But I really think this is a "buyer beware" type of product. The 5 gallon one is $200 and comes with a huge legal contract for its use (See end of the page linked). For me I will keep using approved containers. I can see the benefit of the flexibility of a collapsible container but....

leucadiacruiser

This is going to come off as harsh and I don't mean it that way. But I really think this is a "buyer beware" type of product. The 5 gallon one is $200 and comes with a huge legal contract for its use (See end of the page linked). For me I will keep using approved containers. I can see the benefit of the flexibility of a collapsible container but....

Nah not harsh at all. Valid concerns. It's definitely a change going from your rigid Scepter or Rotopax fuel storage. I've hucked my full Giant Loop fuel bags from the top of my rig just because and not so much as a scuff on them. The guys at Heavy Enduro just posted a fun test with their prototype. Giant Loop is not new to the market and they stand behind their products, so not so much a buyer beware concern. Maybe not for everyone, but I've found the cost and flexibility meet my needs perfectly. As for cost, your 5 gallon Rotopax with a mount will probably be close to the price of an Armadillo five gallon bag, and your Scepter can with your ARB dual swingout holder will be about 10 times the cost. ;)

CFMGarage

While I laughed when you added his ARB swing out to offset the cost argument, I think for "buyer beware" he meant this text from their website:
Armadillo Bag is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state and federal agencies. Armadillo Bag is NOT intended for fuel storage, transport or use as a gas bag in the USA.

This matters to some people and is not a comment on the quality of the product. I bet it wouldn't be as good or useful as it is now if it had to meet US approval.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Add the cost of testing to git USA fuel rating approval and the cost per unit would probably have to double just to pay for the cost of testing and certification!

:)

TwinStick

Explorer
Options are always good. I can see the benefits of this.

But for me personally, the cost kills it.

I've been using fuel jugs for decades with no issues. I have used them for gas (red), diesel (yellow), kerosene (blue) & DEF (clear/opaque). They all also say " not intended or approved for fuel transport or storage " on the tags. But the yellow & clear ones have been from NY to Cali 2x. No leaks & no crusty DEF fluid leaks. They have lasted way longer than any "approved " gas can I ever had.

The biggest benefit I can see is the "stealth" of carrying fuel in plain sight. I say this because I have been denied entry to camp grounds, State Parks and the Hoover Dam because of my yellow diesel jugs. My solution was to just go somewhere and ask if I could set them out of sight & chained & locked them to something solid. Then pick them up later the same day. It got to the point where I just put them on bedslide all the way by trucks rear window with a blanket over them. I will never travel in the hot desert areas without extra fuel. It has saved us twice.

dstefan

Based on this thread and my rapidly growing hatred of my Rotopax, I bought an updated 5 gal version of the Armadillo bag. After 3 trips with it I am completely impressed with it. (I have zero affiliation with Giant Loop, I’ve just rarely been this impressed with how a product solved my problems, as well as the build and design quality)

Pros:
— 4-5lbs lighter than my 3 gal Rotopaxand mount when empty
— holds 4 gals for the same weight as 2.6 in the Rotopax
— carries easily in my Trasharoo full (and out of direct view and sunlight) and rolled up stows to nothing in the outer zip compartment.
— Filling and emptying is far easier and so far I have never spilled a drop (honestly). I could never get the Rotocrapx to empty completely, it was very awkward, and there was ALWAYS some slop. Transferring to the vehicle tank is way easier and quicker with the bag.
— Heat and elevation expansion is zero problem, at least with 4 gals. I won’t hesitate to fill to five, but really don’t need it so far).

Cons:
— Maybe price, but since I caught a sale (5 gal for $159) no mounts required vs ~ $100 +/- for the 3 gal Rotopax I dont think its a con at all. You also dont have to buy the extra yellow spout that actually sort of makes the Rotopax work.
— You may need something to hang this on when filling, and it might be a little more difficult solo, but still quite doable.

After researching a bit, I have zero qualms about the certification. I think this thing could pass if they went to the trouble and cost, and I’m filling it up just before I hit the trail, so its mostly off road.

It’s been well worth it for me. YMMV;)

leucadiacruiser

Based on this thread and my rapidly growing hatred of my Rotopax, I bought an updated 5 gal version of the Armadillo bag. After 3 trips with it I am completely impressed with it. (I have zero affiliation with Giant Loop, I’ve just rarely been this impressed with how a product solved my problems, as well as the build and design quality)

Pros:
— 4-5lbs lighter than my 3 gal Rotopaxand mount when empty
— holds 4 gals for the same weight as 2.6 in the Rotopax
— carries easily in my Trasharoo full (and out of direct view and sunlight) and rolled up stows to nothing in the outer zip compartment.
— Filling and emptying is far easier and so far I have never spilled a drop (honestly). I could never get the Rotocrapx to empty completely, it was very awkward, and there was ALWAYS some slop. Transferring to the vehicle tank is way easier and quicker with the bag.
— Heat and elevation expansion is zero problem, at least with 4 gals. I won’t hesitate to fill to five, but really don’t need it so far).

Cons:
— Maybe price, but since I caught a sale (5 gal for $159) no mounts required vs ~ $100 +/- for the 3 gal Rotopax I dont think its a con at all. You also dont have to buy the extra yellow spout that actually sort of makes the Rotopax work.
— You may need something to hang this on when filling, and it might be a little more difficult solo, but still quite doable.

After researching a bit, I have zero qualms about the certification. I think this thing could pass if they went to the trouble and cost, and I’m filling it up just before I hit the trail, so its mostly off road.

It’s been well worth it for me. YMMV;)
Great writeup. Just got back from a 2000 mile roundtrip with a 5 gallon bag in the Trasharoo as well. Outdoorx4 caught up with Harold at Armadillo at NW Expo. Link is here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles