Giant Loop 5 gallon gas bag review

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
In an effort to lighten the load and make space on longer trips, I’ve made the switch from Scepter cans to the Giant Loop 5 gallon gas bags and have used them on my last two trips. With a few hundred miles off road (and too many of those washboard), so far I can attest to how well made these bags are made. They've baked in the sun, been from 300 feet below sea level to 7500 feet in a day, tossed hard and rattled extensively without spilling a drop. I keep them rolled up until the last fill up before heading out on the trail and then pull them out, fill them up, and tie them down on my roof basket. They’re easy to fill up and with multiple handles, easy to move up and down off the roof. Giant Loop sells a spout that goes on easy and tight. With huge handles on the top and sides, fill up is easy. The daisy chain loops provide a variety of attachment points and I used two of the Perfect Bungee adjust-a-strap to lash them down. Once they’re drained, I roll them up and toss them back into my compressor box. Throwing this out there as another option to keep your gas hungry beasts fed!

IMG_1810.jpegIMG_2039.jpegIMG_2043.jpeg

leucadiacruiser

Wow. Not sure about the Cost/Benefit ratio of those things but it's pretty cool.
They're not inexpensive, for sure, but I think the quality (and the Giant Loop video embedded here) shows what I paid for. So far with a couple trips down, they're working out just as I'd hoped. I don't always need them, but when I do, I just pull them out of a tub, unroll them and fill them up.

leucadiacruiser

Ya space wise they actually look like they occupy more real-estate on the rack than a couple Gerrry Cans but I guess they are a bit lighter.
For me the difference is I can lash them to a board bag, on top of my tubs or in a pinch, throw them in the back. A lot more flexibility than rigid cans for my purposes.

leucadiacruiser

Interesting, never knew such a thing existed. They are rather pricey as was mentioned above.
Always good to have options. I’ll update as I use them. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences as well - whether on four wheels or two.

To add a bit of openness to this and maybe reassure people about them. These are made by FuelSafe. FuelSafe manufacturers fuel cells and bladders for all types of industries. I have no doubt about the quality of this product. Probably the best you will ever find in a flexible fuel bladder.

One thing to note, they are designed for temporary storage only. So it would be good for filling it up at last gas stop before leaving civilization and emptying it when you return.
For those that would throw these overhead on a rack, they do make a quick connect drain kit. So you don't have to retrieve the bag to refuel.

leucadiacruiser

Great information @Hillbilly Heaven. I should have added that about long term storage. For my purposes, I’ve only had them filled a few days at a time so far before emptying into the tank. That drain kit looks like another great option.

NorthwestDriver

Fuel Safe looks like the place order them from, offer code for 15% off when you join a mailing list drops it to $250 and free shipping on a 5gal. Are there any creative options for storing these full that you couldn’t do with a jerry can because they are soft sided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leucadiacruiser

Fuel Safe looks like the place order them from, offer code for 15% off when you join a mailing list drops it to $250 and free shipping on a 5gal. Are there any creative options for storing these full that you couldn’t do with a jerry can because they are soft sided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My current setup for a roof rack is Yakima round bars with either a Skinny Warrior basket, Rocketbox or surfboards in some configuration. My last couple trips I’ve had space to lay the full bags in the basket. One thing that makes these more flexible than Jerry cans is the webbing that I could potentially lash them to any surface, flat or not. On top of my board bag, for example, or dropped in my Rocket Box on top of other gear in a pinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke