GFC vs. Vagabond

osinrider04

Observer
I’m surprised more people aren’t considering a comparison of the at habitat to the drifter. Those 2 seem more closely priced with similar features. Any reason why it isn’t on the radar here? I believe it sleeps 3-4 people potentially which could be an added bonus for those of us with kids.

chet6.7

Explorer
For me,the Habitat is a big footprint,it should go over the truck,not behind it,also,I like the wedge format better.

osinrider04

Observer
For me,the Habitat is a big footprint,it should go over the truck,not behind it,also,I like the wedge format better.
I’m on the fence between the habitat, gfc, or vagabong. The habitat has more sleeping space which I need for a group of 3. Although, think there’s enough room for a vagabond with a sleeping platform in a short bed underneath?

shade

I’m on the fence between the habitat, gfc, or vagabong. The habitat has more sleeping space which I need for a group of 3. Although, think there’s enough room for a vagabond with a sleeping platform in a short bed underneath?
Barring an extra high truck bed platform, there's vertical space below the tent bed for someone to sleep below any of these. The problem is bed length. If the camper is mounted to a 5' truck bed, especially if there's much gear in the bed, the sleeper better be under 5' tall or the tailgate will need to be left open.

chet6.7

Explorer
To follow on with what shade has already said,there is a tent/vestibule thing that attaches to the rear of a shell with the tailgate down.
Mid-Size-Camper-Top-Tent-.jpg

osinrider04

Observer
Barring an extra high truck bed platform, there's vertical space below the tent bed for someone to sleep below any of these. The problem is bed length. If the camper is mounted to a 5' truck bed, especially if there's much gear in the bed, the sleeper better be under 5' tall or the tailgate will need to be left open.

How much vertical space is there under these set ups? I thought about finding a way to build a sleeping platform under it but I wasn’t sure if your face would be too close to the bottom of the upper bed platform. We have a little dude now and need sleeping for 3 now. I’d go with vagabond but habitat has the bigger sleeping area. Someone convince me why I should go otherwise please bc I secretly want the vagabond :).

chet6.7

Explorer
I would call or email Vagabond and get specific details for your truck,they may take awhile to get back to you though.
Here are a few links,if you haven't seen them.

shade

How much vertical space is there under these set ups? I thought about finding a way to build a sleeping platform under it but I wasn’t sure if your face would be too close to the bottom of the upper bed platform. We have a little dude now and need sleeping for 3 now. I’d go with vagabond but habitat has the bigger sleeping area. Someone convince me why I should go otherwise please bc I secretly want the vagabond :).
It's subjective. The issue is that the more space allowed under a truck bed platform, the less space is left on top between the bed platform and the bottom of the tent bed. Some people may not mind it being a little tight (I don't), but others may feel like they're sleeping in a coffin. You could mock it up with two pieces of 2"x4" across the bed with a piece of plywood on top. Cut down an appliance box to approximate the space available with whatever bed camper you're considering, and see how it feels.

No one can pick a camper for you. My advice would be to study each one you're considering and write up a list of pros & cons that apply to your use. Many of the manufacturers are now displaying their wares at shows, so you may want to make the effort to attend one near you.

Three sounds easy... I'm trying to put 4 into my drifter. Two adults plus littles is doable. I built a bed platform big enough for my four year old. He should be able to sleep across the bed for a while. I've camped with my four year old and he slept great on the platform. He can't quite sit up all the way but it didn't seem to bother him. One benefit of kids "downstairs" for my setup is the diesel heater keeps it nice and cozy... warmer than "upstairs".

shade

To follow on with what shade has already said,there is a tent/vestibule thing that attaches to the rear of a shell with the tailgate down.
Mid-Size-Camper-Top-Tent-.jpg
I used one of those with a fold-out bed platform I used to use under my Softopper on a 5' bed. It worked, but I was solo.

osinrider04

Observer
Three sounds easy... I'm trying to put 4 into my drifter. Two adults plus littles is doable. I built a bed platform big enough for my four year old. He should be able to sleep across the bed for a while. I've camped with my four year old and he slept great on the platform. He can't quite sit up all the way but it didn't seem to bother him. One benefit of kids "downstairs" for my setup is the diesel heater keeps it nice and cozy... warmer than "upstairs".

View attachment 521114
This is the same concept I was considering. What size truck are you running in this picture just so I can see scale?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Look at the Snap Treehouse, I love mine, all aluminum, huge side doors and they were easy to work with.

Attachments

• DSC_6960.JPG
    DSC_6960.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 191

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94