GFC vs. Vagabond

aaen

Adventurer
Presume it should be as they mount them to l tracks which are direct mounted to the side.

They just use the l track for options to mount other items/etc.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Well, I put a request in for shipping cost for a new Vegabond Drifter. Time to get in line for an awesome new camper. :) Does anyone have a tape measure that could tell me how high the top edge is over the center of the cab? (highest point of the curved area between driver and passenger) This is without the Maxfan as I don't think I will have room for that.

IMG_1378-X2.jpg

aaen

Adventurer
When i talked to phil/iggy the drifter would sit 31” above the factory bedrails. 33,5” with the fan.

Steve

Runt

Adventurer
Vagabond

IMG_1378-X2.jpg

Does this Drifter have a Front Runner Defender Gullwing Door & Cabinet? or is that just a window?

icedragonmx

Adventurer
When i talked to phil/iggy the drifter would sit 31” above the factory bedrails. 33,5” with the fan.

Steve

Thanks for the measurements as I will be getting my new ZR2 on Thursday!!! Cheers.

Phil is already looking into the shipping options for me too! Going to be a good week. :)

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I wasn't all that impressed with the GFC......Until I saw one in person. Buddy got his installed this last weekend and I must say I am totally on board now. The attention to detail is awesome and it seems to be great quality.

aaen

Adventurer
Vagabond

Does this Drifter have a Front Runner Defender Gullwing Door & Cabinet? or is that just a window?

It's all an option you can request, I requested it on both sides, was not cheap but figured I used my windoors on my alucab all the time, i figured that it was a necessity.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I may be different for the ZR2 from the tacoma.

No worries, I will measure off a buddies new Toyota 4dr pickup to figure out the rise over the cab. I am hoping to get under the 7' mark in total overall height with the Drifter mounted. Will try sort out some type of QD mount to run Thule square bars on the L- track so I can disconnect them when I am not hauling a canoe on top.

Edit: July 19th - Got the new truck (ZR2) and the buyout for the old one! Just need shipping cost and I am in with a Drifter! :)

Last edited:
Just reading back through the posts and realized I didn’t respond to this. It was great meeting you Phil! And also realized that your picks are between a full sized Vagabond camper and a Maltec??!! Honored to be in the running. Those are some very nice campers. Seriously stoked that you came by the booth and we really appreciate your insight.

The Frontier is 1.94” wider at the inside of the bed. The base of the Drifter can easily accommodate for that. We are making the Frontier- specific version shorter though.

That changes some of our major components since, when retracted, you have full use of the truck bed up to the cab wall. This requires different sized mattresses and bed extensions. So for the long bed, you still have full vertical clearance to the cab wall. The cabover mattress is shorter and the extension mattress is longer, in comparison to the DCSB version. same overall mattress dimensions though.

This is great to hear. That slight bed length sounds like it effects many of the Drifter's current designs.

phsycle

Adventurer
I really like the GFC concept over all others. If I were looking for something like this, that's what I'd get for the Tacoma. Very well executed, IMO.

Clymber

Adventurer
I’m pretty much sold on the Vagabond. It will come down to measurement. From the top of the cab to the top of the shell what is the height. Needs to be able to fit in the garage since my Taco is a play truck. Is a barn style door an option and what it the height when open all the way and the bed is in the up position. Living in the northeast we get a lot more rain than when I was in CO

Also delivery to VT would make life easier for me also. Thanks

Last edited:

PHeller

Adventurer
Looks like GFC will be offering a RTT option with external entry. I have a feeling that will become very popular with GFC owners.

kodiak-black

Observer
Watching this thread closely with the hope of making a purchase after Spring Overland Expo next year. I'm hoping there will be other options by then.

I like OVRLND full pop up, but it seems very unfinished for the price and seems like it would be a condensation nightmare. I've liked what I've seen and read so far about the Drifter, accessing the bed with 2 sleeping up top is big for me. Another big plus is the review of how thick and durable the tent material is with regard to water and wind intrusion. I checked out the GFC website and they have a great product, but just a tad to primitive for the money for me.

I feel as though by the time Spring Overland Expo 2019 comes around there will be quite a few more reviews, likely some improvements made by each of the companies and likely some more offerings from other companies.

***The Tacoma hard sided pop-up done by the DIY team is amazing. If it was ever offered and reasonably priced I'd likely buy as it seem to be pretty ideal for my needs.*** Hint, hint. They did an amazing job on that unit. Well thought out, well executed. A company with motivation and the facilities to build them should be taking note of that concept.

FWC, god love' em, they're the originals for sure.They just haven't changed enough to warrant the expense for me. It just seems like a dated design. I feel like I'm paying for a design they came up with 20 years ago.

What I like about the new companies pumping some new thinking and innovation is that they're making every effort to bridge the gap between sleeping in my camper shell and a FWC. The gap between the 2 concepts is huge and the payload difference is equally large.

My only real requirements are being able to stand up, being able to sit in a chair, sleep on a roughly queen size bed, heat source, total protection from water and reasonable protection from wind, function as a normal camper shell when not camping and light weight so as to not go over my payload. All the rest I can build out on an as needed basis as far as counter / work / cooking surfaces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles