GFC vs. Vagabond

That's pretty much the answer I got from them months ago. I interpreted that response as "We don't know." Vagabond has invited me to stop by their shop and test fit their Tacoma model on my Frontier, but my schedule has been hectic lately and I have not scheduled anything with them. In a way I'm glad the Frontier campers are not out yet. It has given me time to evaluate the pros and cons of each style of camper from the different manufacturers. You really have to look at how you plan to use the camper and what features are most important to you. The camper I liked more initially actually makes less sense for me.

I called about this too and never heard back from them. I am going to wait a bit a see if l Phil & Iggy make a Frontier model. If not, I will probably get a gen 1 tundra.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Oh believe me I really wanted to check out their shop. This was when they were in the process of doubling up their shop size so there wasnt much they could show me then. I still plan to check them out sometime soon. My weekends finally clear up again after this month. I'm less then an hour away from these guys.

I spoke with Ramon at Expo and told him a local Frontier Guy was going to make it to the shop soon... small world! We redesigned the cab, based on Brian’s measurements and our previous ones, and have something in the works. Please let us know when you’re available.

The first "Beta" run of the campers are usually the ones you want to hold off a bit, and wait a year or so for improvements. Now with all this suddenly new competition it will keep manufactures on their toes, and want to be better or offer different features over the other guys.

Sit back and watch is a good thing, imo. I am kinda waiting to see the flatbeds...

Our V1’s were really the beta test units. We worked out a lot of kinks. For example, the mattress and bedding sometimes pushed out the tent when closing. We lowered the profile of the lid and raised the lower roof profile above the mattress. Problem solved. Plus, we have a nice big lower roof area to mount awnings. Bonus: any condensation on the tent will not run down to the edges of the bedding/ mattress. They do not make contact at all. Just one of the many refinements. The Mojave group also had some suggestions. For example, the high density mattresses were too firm. We went with a softer (still high density) mattress and replaced theirs.

We really worked out all of the details before ever offering these campers to the public.

The current wedge offerings each provide something different. As a portion of the market shifts from RTT’s to lightweight truck campers, we’re pleased to see that the offerings on the forefront of the US market are all putting out quality products.

And we are actively developing the flatbed model... stay tuned!

I called about this too and never heard back from them. I am going to wait a bit a see if l Phil & Iggy make a Frontier model. If not, I will probably get a gen 1 tundra.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! We are definitely going to offer a Frontier- specific Drifter. The Tacoma/ Colorado length version fitament on the Frontier wasn’t something we could live with.

Clutch

<---Pass
I

Our V1’s were really the beta test units. We worked out a lot of kinks. For example, the mattress and bedding sometimes pushed out the tent when closing. We lowered the profile of the lid and raised the lower roof profile above the mattress. Problem solved. Plus, we have a nice big lower roof area to mount awnings. Bonus: any condensation on the tent will not run down to the edges of the bedding/ mattress. They do not make contact at all. Just one of the many refinements. The Mojave group also had some suggestions. For example, the high density mattresses were too firm. We went with a softer (still high density) mattress and replaced theirs.

We really worked out all of the details before ever offering these campers to the public.

In my circle of friends any first year run of any new product, whether it be motorcycles, cars, trucks, campers, whatever....and the people who buy them we call them "beta testers". Your V1's were prototypes.

Wait a year and let those "beta testers" or 1st year customers buy them, use them, and make comments on what is good and what isn't. Then make a decision on which one to buy. Never buy a first year production run of anything, wait a bit see what changes the manufactures will make. So far the AT Summit has my attention the most. The lifting bed mechanism is pretty slick, and their aluminum honeycomb composite they make it out of provides a level of insulation. That and they have been doing it the longest.

The list and why.

1. Summit: Lifting bed mechanism, composite construction, experience.
2. Drifter: Basically the same as the Summit but only lost out to reasons above.
3. OVRLND: Like this design the most for the straight walls (which equals more usable interior space) and the FWC style roof lifting mechanism. Not crazy about the tube construction...like the solid panels of the AT and Vagabond better.

4&5 GFC/Treehouse not really on the radar at all because they more like a RTT with storage underneath. Not really campers at all. After using a Wildernest for the better part of 10 years, it has taught me that lots of interior space in camp mode is a valuable thing. Especially if the weather is foul. Awfully nice to have one person that can be in the bed portion and the other can be in the bed of the truck. Not the best in the wind, however has the most interior room, and packs down the smallest and the most aero when closed. Maybe I just need a new tent made for mine...it would save me $7-8000. Might be the best option of all!

And we are actively developing the flatbed model... stay tuned!

Cool!

Last edited:
Vagabond Outdoors,

I think we have a miss communication.

" I called about this too and never heard back from them. I am going to wait a bit a see if l Phil & Iggy make a Frontier model. If not, I will probably get a gen 1 tundra."

"Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! We are definitely going to offer a Frontier- specific Drifter. The Tacoma/ Colorado length version fitament on the Frontier wasn’t something we could live with."

I called GFC about a Frontier camper and didn't hear back from them. That is why I stated " I would wait for Phil & Iggy to see about a Frontier model." no apologies on your part is needed my friend. I should have been more clear in my statement.

Clutch

<---Pass
@Overlanerd Would love the space and layout of the OVRLND but constructed like the Vagabond. Is this even a possibility?
That is my thought too. Probably have to ask the guys at OVRLND.

Would cut down on labor not having to cut and weld up all that tubing.

My grandfather was an electrical sign maker, wish I could of figured out somehow to keep his brake and shear...dang it. When I was a teen we built some large toolboxes from scratch to hold power tools. These are basically the same thing only a tad bigger.

jbumx2

Observer

My grandfather was an electrical sign maker, wish I could of figured out somehow to keep his brake and shear...dang it. When I was a teen we built some large toolboxes from scratch to hold power tools. These are basically the same thing only a tad bigger.
basically... just a tad... lol

Clutch

<---Pass
basically... just a tad... lol

I should of elaborated they weren't hand held boxes. There were bedside tool boxes for a F250 so we could toss our saws, drills and whatnot in there....so not that much bigger.

He used to make department store signs back in the 60's and 70's. Making letters are far more complex than a truck shell...though back then I mostly held the dumb end of the tape measure while he did all the work. ;):p

Last edited:

PHeller

Adventurer
So what is the crucial flaw? Mine is the pin latches they are using, I fully expect those to be frozen solid in the winter time here in Canada. Especially with our freeze that cycles, and rendering it useless for winter camping.

I've mentioned it elsewhere I don't feel the need to ragging on it. Basically - it's not long enough.

PHeller

Adventurer

Being that OVRLND is local to me and I have an idea of his shop setup, I don't think he'd be prepared to make sheet-style boxes. Would require a huge press brake.

Now, that being said, maybe OVRLND could purchase the lower box from Vagabond, then attached his top to the Drifter. I'd buy that.

Runt

Adventurer
The more pictures I see of the Vagabond the more I like it. The fellow that recently posted on Tacoma Forum had a Drifter with the windoors, which is interesting...in a good way. Not much for pix but looks good! Hopefully we'll see more as production increases.

Last edited:
Please look into the possibility of a lift up door like your V1s or barn doors for the Frontier model. I am curious if the inclusion of the aforementioned rear doors could allow the use of the current Tacoma model with just some filler panels to seal it up to the bed.

jbumx2

Observer
If any manufacturer invites you over for a test fitting I would jump on it! You get a nice behind the scenes look and you see how much work and attention to detail is put into these campers.

Snapped some more photos of the Drifter on a Frontier tonight...probably not the shots you were looking for though lol.

Any chance you can take a closer shot of where the Drifter sits on the Frontier bed rails? Hard to tell from your pictures but it looks like the Frontier bed is a bit wider than the Tacoma's. I've heard that Vagabond was making a slightly shorter Drifter for the Frontier. It looks like it needs to be a bit wider as well.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 86

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles