GFC vs. Vagabond

czukie

Hey all, interested to see what ya'll think about the new Vagabond outfitters recently announced, compared to GFC. Neither are in production but have plenty of information out there. Interested in seeing others opinions.

Clutch

<---Pass
Too early to tell without seeing each in person.

But liking the Vagabond structure (from what I can see) so far. Looks very similar to the Habitat which seems bomber...just don't like how the Habitat opens rearwards and a couple other things. The shell itself looks great though.

Not crazy about the tube construction of the GFC, as I would likely have windoors installed. From what I read about the GFC there are (will be?) clearance issues for side windows/windoors (correct me if I am wrong)

czukie

Too early to tell without seeing each in person.

But liking the Vagabond structure (from what I can see) so far. Looks very similar to the Habitat which seems bomber...just don't like how the Habitat opens rearwards and a couple other things. The shell itself looks great though.

Not crazy about the tube construction of the GFC, as I would likely have windoors installed. From what I read about the GFC there are (will be?) clearance issues for side windows/windoors (correct me if I am wrong)

Windoors is a crucial selling point for me

Clutch

<---Pass
Windoors is a crucial selling point for me

I would double check on the GFC and windoors. (as I just skim the threads) I know the whole side panel will lift up, but don't think you can do windoors. Unsure how well their design will seal dust out from the bed.

EDIT: Went back and skimmed the GFC thread...no side windows for now.

Answer #9: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...t-the-new-Gofast-camper?p=2425897#post2425897

GFC-in-BAJA-Cortez-ex_059-1500x1000.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Are windoors that big of a deal when the whole side panel opens entirely?

No, not really...however...

I "think" the window options would be small on the GFC since it has to fit between the triangle support. I like to be able to see well out the passenger side when backing up, making turns...or those awkwardly angled roads at stop signs. In fact there is one of those roads by the trail head I like to ride my dirt bike...you literally have to look back over your shoulder out the righthand side of the truck bed to see oncoming traffic. Which is usually a cattle or sugar-beet semi where I live. Not something you want to pull out in front of.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Vagabond is the schnitz! Now they just need to offer it for full size.

For an 8' bed, and actually have some room to move about.

That 5' bed they have it pictured on, has to be super tight. My Wildernest may suck in the wind and the wet...but it feels very spacious. Which is nice if you're stuck inside it during foul weather. One person can be sleeping in the bed while another can be standing/sitting in the bed of the truck doing something else.

sn_85

Observer
I like the tent design on the GFC but I'd be worried about the tube design along with their sides. Wonder how well and how strong the seals would keep water and dust out over time.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I like the tent design on the GFC but I'd be worried about the tube design along with their sides. Wonder how well and how strong the seals would keep water and dust out over time.

GFC says they use commonly available seals so replacement should be fairly straightforward if needed.

Runt

Adventurer
I think it comes down to climate and type of trails you run. Seems like the Go Fast Camper (GFC) is best suited for warmer climates and running trails fast. The GFC is a very sturdy and simple design with a high level of attention paid to the details and options. I could see me ripping off gas struts regularly though with the GFC exposed design. The Vagabond Outdoors Drifter (VOD) while having very similar features to the GFC would be easier to insulate and with its internal gas struts it lends better to tight trails & northern climates in my opinion. VOD also has a large powered fan which is awesome to have if you need to cook in your shell or need to dry it out from condensation on those cooler winter nights. Neither appear to have roof lock outs or options for attaching fuel carriers to the rear of the shell like the Alu-Cab which in my opinion is a must have if you don't want to run a swing out tire/fuel can carrier. Personally I'm leaning toward the VOD at this time....just wish there was space to mount a fuel can on each side of the rear doors.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles