GFC vs. Vagabond

CallenCampers

Hey Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that Callen Camper Company is back in business and is taking new orders for custom truck shells. We are glad to be serving outdoor enthusiasts once again out of San Diego. New website is in development at www.callencampers.com. Follow us on instagram @callen_campers for updates, current builds and more. Feel free to also contact us at info@callencampers.com.

Cheers!

Callen Camper Company

MuleShoer

Adventurer
After much deliberation and emails with those companies that even cared to respond ( Snap, GFC, Vagabond) i ordered a treehouse to be built for the brute
The brute requied a custom bed size, my first choice was vagabond since i have followed there progess from V1 but they are addressing “production” trucks, GFC said no to custom. I also had long discussions with access mfg tradesman and cost killed that deal
I hope to have it on for our moab to st George pre run in eatly october
So before those people that belive that the desert is the only place to quazi test something jump in, this truck will be doing the 10 day Baja 4000 rally with the wedge shell on in late January
More to come

Ark

Watching this thread closely with the hope of making a purchase after Spring Overland Expo next year. I'm hoping there will be other options by then.

I like OVRLND full pop up, but it seems very unfinished for the price and seems like it would be a condensation nightmare. I've liked what I've seen and read so far about the Drifter, accessing the bed with 2 sleeping up top is big for me. Another big plus is the review of how thick and durable the tent material is with regard to water and wind intrusion. I checked out the GFC website and they have a great product, but just a tad to primitive for the money for me.

I feel as though by the time Spring Overland Expo 2019 comes around there will be quite a few more reviews, likely some improvements made by each of the companies and likely some more offerings from other companies.

***The Tacoma hard sided pop-up done by the DIY team is amazing. If it was ever offered and reasonably priced I'd likely buy as it seem to be pretty ideal for my needs.*** Hint, hint. They did an amazing job on that unit. Well thought out, well executed. A company with motivation and the facilities to build them should be taking note of that concept.

FWC, god love' em, they're the originals for sure.They just haven't changed enough to warrant the expense for me. It just seems like a dated design. I feel like I'm paying for a design they came up with 20 years ago.

What I like about the new companies pumping some new thinking and innovation is that they're making every effort to bridge the gap between sleeping in my camper shell and a FWC. The gap between the 2 concepts is huge and the payload difference is equally large.

My only real requirements are being able to stand up, being able to sit in a chair, sleep on a roughly queen size bed, heat source, total protection from water and reasonable protection from wind, function as a normal camper shell when not camping and light weight so as to not go over my payload. All the rest I can build out on an as needed basis as far as counter / work / cooking surfaces.

Kodiak, which Tacoma hard sided pop up build are you referring to?

lactic

f42810f16ad9312c783ec58ffecd4cde.jpg

This one I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ark

The one Lactic posted above. That was an awesome build if you check out his build thread. Very innovative. If he ever goes in business I'll be buying one for my truck!

Wow! That's really impressive. I looked through ExPo and didn't find the build thread. Anyone happen to have a link or the builder's name?

aaen

Adventurer
Exciting, cannot wait for my drifter in a few weeks time! It’s been a long and drawn out process, not really I am just like a little kid at Xmas time and want it now. :). I’ve got a lot of winter trips planned out for this year and some snowshoeing with the pup, its going to be a fantastic winter, just need to figure out the heating source. Either Propex or Espar, hmm.

Steve

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Exciting, cannot wait for my drifter in a few weeks time! It’s been a long and drawn out process, not really I am just like a little kid at Xmas time and want it now. :). I’ve got a lot of winter trips planned out for this year and some snowshoeing with the pup, its going to be a fantastic winter, just need to figure out the heating source. Either Propex or Espar, hmm.

Steve

That is great news! Congrats! I have been stalking the Internets looking at Drifter updates since they first came out. When did you start your order? I am at just under 2 month since I paid for mine and am just waiting for the day mine gets built! It's tough waiting for something that will be such a great improvement to the exploring lifestyle. :)

aaen

Adventurer
I believe i ordered back in June or was it July, apologies as its been a busy summer and i’ve only had 7 days off since May so its been a bit of a blur.

Regardless, Phil and Iggy have been super accommodating with everything and answering questions, design changes etc. And I look forward to meeting them!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
I had a nice talk with Phil at Vagabond Outdoors about a Drifter for a full size truck. It is in the works and may/will be released in a couple of months,it is pretty close to release.
They are looking at barn doors for future builds,they will make them retrofittable to previous builds when it is ready. They are also working on a heating system using the Propex heater,the system Phil described sounded good,a lot cleaner than some of the pictures I have seen with hoses all over.
If you are interested in a Drifter for a full size with barn doors,let them know.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I had a nice talk with Phil at Vagabond Outdoors about a Drifter for a full size truck. It is in the works and may/will be released in a couple of months,it is pretty close to release.
They are looking at barn doors for future builds,they will make them retrofittable to previous builds when it is ready. They are also working on a heating system using the Propex heater,the system Phil described sounded good,a lot cleaner than some of the pictures I have seen with hoses all over.
If you are interested in a Drifter for a full size with barn doors,let them know.

Yes I talked with them about the exact same thing on a Tundra at EXPO months ago and I gave up and started working on something else.

maltec tundra.jpg

rajacat

I've also inquired about a full size (F150) unit several times over a period of months and they said it was still in the planning stage. I suspect they think that the demand isn't large enough to commit the time and energy for a full size design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles