Getting big/heavy things on off roof

aernan

Observer
My truck is going to be max legal heigh. I would like to put a rack on the cab and store recovery gear and possibly other stuff up there. Are there an tricks for safely moving stuff up/down? Has anyone used a small hoist or crane to do this?

Badmiker

I was looking at a well known mail order tool supply company in the USA known for cheap tools..... and found a small pickup truck mounted crane kind of device that could be useful. It has a small hand winch and a boom like an engine hoist. I think it was rated for like 500lbs but other than the spare on your LMTV, I doubt that you would need that much capacity. If we end up with overhead storage, we'll try and keep it to lighter objects unless we can't figure out where to stick a spare.

puiumeu

Can you provide more details such as a picture and price of this crane from a well known company.

I am in Germany and it's not so well know but I am very interested in the solution...

Br

Puiumeu

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Joe917

Explorer
Since you are still in the design stage, find another place for heavy gear, as low as possible. weight up high significantly affects cog and stability. It is also a good way to injure yourself.

aernan

Observer
I have seen people relocate the spare tire to the roof top to get the space back for a larger living space. You can get gas much as 2.2" extra bed space. I don't want the spare up there because moving 350lbs would be a hassle. I want to avoid needing to partially climb the cab or ladder to get things up. Ideally the item when hoisted would not drag against the body of the truck. Also being able to solo load/unload the roof space would be ideal.

Things that I cam considering putting up on the roof.
- recovery gear
like straps/chains/snatch blocks. I want it to be accessible when the truck is mired so low boxes that might be stuck in the mud would be bad. Also the gear tends to get covered in mud so I want it outside if possible.

- kayak
big and cumbersome .

- mountain bikes
- spare outdoor tables
- outdoor chairs
- BBQ/fire pit
- chain saw and fuel/tools for it

I have considered using a small manual/electric crane but I'm not clear on where I would anchor it. My cab has air suspension (currently busted). When I build the roof rack itself I could leave mounting points for the crane or integrate it. Or I could mount the crane to the rear box.

aernan

Observer
Don't forget all that weight will affect tilting the cab.
my concerns exactly. I don't know how much weight I can safely put up there. I did remove a turret ring that was 250 lbs without the gun so I'm pretty sure it's safe to put that much weight up there. Ideally any crane would be attached to the main frame and be easy to store and allow me to pick things from either side of the truck.

Badmiker

So I don't want to break any rules and I am not sure about cross posting to other vendors.

I was looking at Harbor Freight Tools (internet search if you are not aware of them) and found a section in the Automotive and Motorcycle section called Truck Cranes

They have 2 models available

image_22963.jpg
and
image_24463.jpg

I have no experience with them or any endorsement. They look fairly ... simple and if you don't have access to this vendor in your area then a modification of a generic engine hoist and a hand winch should get you 90% there. I would believe any competent builder should be able to hack/weld something together using these as guides. In the UK a machine mart variety of similar components would also be available. In Germany... I have no guidance. However these units are fairly affordable at ~ $100-150, I don't think building one would be much more or less expensive.

Wyuna

Observer
I've got a 12 volt aluminium splitz lift, its removable and easy to set up, they do a crank handle version as well.

aernan

Observer
In my LMVT I have some slide out pick points for moving the vehicle with a crane. I have no use of them but I may be able use them as a place to store or attach a crane. I'll have to give it more thought.

I do like the idea of an A frame Gin Pole as well.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
In my LMVT I have some slide out pick points for moving the vehicle with a crane. I have no use of them but I may be able use them as a place to store or attach a crane. I'll have to give it more thought.

I do like the idea of an A frame Gin Pole as well.

What is an lmvt?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne