Getting a Saab back off the road.

Mos6502

We used Mickey Thompson Mini-Mag tires. Worked great. To increase the traction, I had to hand groove them so they had some cross bars in the tread. They are 27" tall, which is about all you can use without cutting.

Do you recall what your clearance situation was like, between tire and suspension spring? I'm still contemplating between the Nankang 175/80R15 and the Federal 195/80R15, but I'm not sure if the Federals are going to clear the spring, they have a section width of 7.7" so a bit more than an inch wider than the Mini-Mags. I believe the factory Baja cars used 205 width tires, but they were running Sonnet wheels which give a 1/4" more backspace.

mp_tx

Observer
Register in Texas as an antique and you can run the exhaust wherever you want. Clone it up and run in NORRA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mos6502

Register in Texas as an antique and you can run the exhaust wherever you want. Clone it up and run in NORRA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would except they charge 3K to enter and don't even have a vintage class appropriate for the Saab. I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to enter one.

Mos6502

42506687060_c18eb6637e_z.jpg

It fits.

Mos6502

Well, it will be coming into the garage either this weekend or next weekend for teardown! We'll see how much work it needs then (hopefully not a lot).

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
This is wicked cool. Old stuff and unusual overlanding stuff is always great to read about. Best of luck on the journey.

73datsun

If you ever need parts or advice, I HIGHLY recommend Marty Adams. He owns Meyer Saab/Garage in Iowa. The dealership has been in his family since 1964. He's remarkably knowledgable and extremely nice.

I've had six Saabs (never the 2-strokes) and I would drive from Minneapolis to Meyer, IA because of how fantastic that little Saab dealer in a cornfield was. Me and Marty became good friends and he ended up sponsoring and building our Chump/Lemons Saab 9-3 race car for about six years. He has ton of experience and parts for 2-strokes and the old original Saabs.

41799552_1920141018034137_7352375662994259968_n.jpg

http://www.meyersaab.com/

Mos6502

Thanks for the tip. There was a guy literally just down the street from me who ran a Saab shop and loved when I would stop by with my 95, but he had a heart attack and passed away this spring. I know of a few people who are local but finding parts does take some effort.

Also, I did watch that Wheeler Dealers episode! Pretty crazy how they cut down a windshield to fit. I did a laugh a bit when he unbolted the hood to take it off the car though - the hinge pins on the 96 hood are spring loaded, all you have to do is push the hood to one side to compress the springs and the hood pops off - no tools needed!

dman93

Adventurer
Soon after I graduated from high school, I wanted to buy my first car. After a deal on a neighbor’s ‘56 Chevy convertible fell through, I looked at (and test drove) a two stroke Saab 96 and a B16 Volvo 544. Both were white, and priced around $400. I ended up getting a motorcycle and didn’t buy a car for a few years. I was a big Erik Carlson fan as a kid ... but even in 1973 I didn’t quite see the 850 Saab as a practical all-purpose car. I wouldn’t mind owning one now though.

Mos6502

looking for rust. Floor is actually in better condition than I thought.
wlfj4kev1sajq8fezkld.jpg

Just a few small holes. Poking around with a screwdriver, didn't find anything hiding major. The thinner gauge steel of the firewall has rusted through where it meets the floor, but the much thicker floor is still solid. Should be relatively simple to patch up.

J!m

Great thread. I love to see unusual restorations, and this is certainly one of them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles