Getting a Saab back off the road.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I can't really think of a good way to introduce this project or myself, so I guess I'll jump right in with this:
40380969544_7d4c34c331_z.jpg

Recently I had an opportunity to save a couple of old Saabs from a farm where they had been parked for over a decade. They were mine to take, provided I got them off the property in an extremely short window of time, otherwise the property owner was going to call the scrapper and have them hauled off (and they did, and all the other cars on the property went to the crusher). I rescued the c.1965 Saab 95 wagon, with the infamous 3 cylinder, 2-stroke Saab engine that every car enthusiast over a certain age can tell tall tales about - and a 1968 Saab 96 with the Ford V4.

tumblr_p74uwg3WQT1s3ccm8o1_1280.jpg

I sold the rarer, older wagon to a collector, but have plans for the '68. It's little remembered today, but for several years in the late 1960s and early 1970s, Saab was a major contender in the Baja 500 and Baja 1000 races. In fact, Saabs won the 2-wheel drive class four years in a row. Saabs first ran the race in 1967, the cars entered were stock, save for some auxiliary lights and some truck tires. They came in last place. You'll find a short write up of the event below, scanned from the winter '67 Saab dealer newsletter (which is in the public domain, having been printed without a copyright notice).
41398628512_f1fa3ecafb_c.jpg

In 1968, the team returned with a lightly modified car - and won their class. And kept winning it, for several years in a row. The suspension was reinforced, the car extensively lightened, and the engine lightly tuned. In 1969 Saab officially became involved and the cars became more highly tuned and modified.

Saab Prints by trollpowersaab, on Flickr

A distinctive feature of these cars was the routing of the exhaust over the roof to gain ground clearance. Unfortunately, this is one aspect I won't be replicating because I want to keep my car street legal. I also probably won't build a roll cage, or at least not one which would meet modern requirements, as I have no real need to actually race the car. I've decided that rather than build an all-out replica of the '68 entry, to go with a slightly softer version that would still be street legal and tractable. The suspension and body will be reinforced, some lightening will be undertaken (there's honestly not much that can be taken out of this car, it's pretty basic as is), and appropriate lighting, rack, skid plate, wheels and tires fitted. I also have plans for an original bed conversion kit which allows the seats to be transformed into a bed by using some extra brackets and mounting points. So it will be a sort of lightweight camper, potentially.

93bed.jpg

Don't hold your breath watching this thread for updates though, as it will take some searching to round up all the necessary parts for this build. 50 year old Saab stuff isn't always easy to find (then again, you'd also be surprised by what you can still get through any normal car parts store). Also living in Texas, I have no plans to wrench on anything until summer is over.

27552740597_f5590c0c94_c.jpg
Why's the guy snoozing with the hot ladyfriend smiling at him?

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Good on you for saving these two lovely cars, it's just awful to think that they'd have been crushed or put through a shredder!

I'll follow your build with interest, there used to be loads of Saab's in this part of the world but now it's a treat to actually see one on the road.

Another great race winner was the Skoda (before VW bought them out), they'd win races year after year.

Mos6502

Since I'm not able to proceed with work on the suspension for the moment, turned to doing other jobs. Got out a can of rubbing compound and started seeing what I can do with this paint.
c764f95e506e29026f1d8faab954f99361a70217.jpg

The car was repainted, presumably after the collision that bent up the front, and that repaint is not very good. Rubbing away the oxidation is revealing an awful lot of orange peel. No big deal, this project is not about making a pretty car.

Mos6502

Found a cool photo of the Saab that placed 1st in class in the 1970 Baja 500. It is interesting to me that in 1971 the winner of this class was Rodney Hall himself, in a Ford Maverick with a 302, but he didn't even come close to beating the time Lindqvist set in the Saab in '70.
EO2CxvzX4AAGtN1.jpg

Mos6502

Bad news: searching for a solution to the loping idle and fluttering vacuum gauge I found the intake valve on the number 2 cylinder was frozen open. Probably from all the years sitting parked outside. Freed that up today, and decided to run the engine. Loudest rod knock I've ever heard. Going back to the vids I made earlier you can sort of hear it, but without that cylinder firing it sounded more like loose parts rattling around somewhere in the engine bay. Not a big bummer to me, I need to pull the engine to get the clutch relined anyway. It's just going to mean sourcing some bearings and a new pan gasket. I guess I'll check all the big ends while I'm at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online