gettin ready for a snorkel install: 01 4runner

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
I have my snorkel and the other stuff, and ive read Scott's writeup very clearly. (very detailed too)

I just want to get some assurance before i go cut a hole in my fender and screw it up.

im assuming the middle hole in the template is for the drill from the holesaw?

also what type drillbits do i need to get so i can make sure it goes through easily.

and i noticed these little clips that go into the pillar, they take the screws right? how do those fit in a drilled hole, is my curiosity.

thanks

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
ill be sure to take pictures

i just went and bought a 3 1/4 hole saw, and some drill bits,

i also got a center punch to make sure i dont go ape crap on my fender.

ill be specific with the install, only thing i dont have is the taco inner tube part that yall have.

i may get some hose and use that instead and just clamp it down good and silicone it.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Unibits are designed for sheet metal work. They make nice round holes where the typical twist drill doesn't always do that.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

now i think one of my holes is like a 3rd of a cm off, is that a problem? i hope not, i have not made the big hole just yet.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
hole saw wont hold the pilot bit tight enough so it spins inside the saw, i have 4 holes, just not a 3 1/4 size hole yet.. 2moro, typing w one hand sliced my left index finger

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
neliconcept said:
hole saw wont hold the pilot bit tight enough so it spins inside the saw, i have 4 holes, just not a 3 1/4 size hole yet.. 2moro, typing w one hand sliced my left index finger

:oops:
Ouch!
Good luck!

:sombrero:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
DaktariEd said:
:oops:
Ouch!
Good luck!

:sombrero:

thanks, thankfully i didnt slice my finger off and just took some skin off, however i really dont know how to fix this holesaw issue.

the pilot bit spins inside the saw, i thought about having it welded to the holesaw and that would solve that issue, any other thoughts?

ill get a new pic of what ive done so far in a sec.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
neliconcept said:
the pilot bit spins inside the saw, i thought about having it welded to the holesaw and that would solve that issue, any other thoughts?

Don't weld your $2 pilot bit to $15 hole saw...

Did you make sure the flat of the pilot bit is lined up with the setscrew in the holesaw driver? Do that.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
BogusBlake said:
Don't weld your $2 pilot bit to $15 hole saw...

Did you make sure the flat of the pilot bit is lined up with the setscrew in the holesaw driver? Do that.

i was thinking this right before i came up on your post, and low and behold it worked, however im not gonna attempt tonight, i did put a nice little silver circle in my fender but ill finish tomorrow and put the cutting oil to make it a little easier to go through.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
You almost can't turn a hole saw too slow.

Cutting oil is going to make a mess of the paint. Were it an aluminum fender I'd suggest Paraffin Wax. Might still be worth a try. Worst case use "water pump lubricant" (water soluable oil) and water. Should make less of a mess.

Alternately there is a fab tool called a "Nibbler." Comes in both hand and power versions. If the fender is thin enough steel, those sold for making square cornered holes in electronics enclosures may work. Will be the slow road, but you'll get there w/o any mis-steps.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
offroad_nomad said:
Did you get the Taco air intake tube/sleeve to connect the snorkel?

yes i have that, already connected too, just dont have the black bent tube connected until the snorkel is on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94