Gentrification of the Land Cruiser

TeCKis300

Observer
Would probably be more fair to provide some info. This is an '09 LX570. I've been a long time cruiserhead and strongly believe in the strength and robustness that defines the core virtues of the platform throughout its legacy, including the current day 200-series. There's no better vehicle for classic overlanding but that also excels as off-roading, luxury touring, heavy duty hauling, towing, all mixed into a singular vehicle.

To that, I've done mods to enhance those core virtues. With careful choices to minimize over biasing for a particular use, or compromising those broad qualities.

In order of most satisfying modifications
1) 12.5 gallon auxillary subtank for a total of 37 gallons onboard
2) 35x12.5 Toyo AT3 tires
3) Viair onboard air
4) AHC suspension mods for 3.5" lift on demand (5+" total with 35s), 2000lb payload, all while maintaining Lexus ride
5) Weboost Reach Cell Booster
6) 4.3 gears
7) Big brakes
8) Land Cruiser extended rack
9) SwitchPros to manage accessories
10) Rigid D-pro spots, scene lights, rock lights
11) Harrop rear e-locker

Last edited:

T-Willy

Can you tell us more about these mods and the basis for your payload calculation?

4) AHC suspension mods for 3.5" lift on demand (5+" total with 35s), 2000lb payload, all while maintaining Lexus ride

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Can you tell us more about these mods and the basis for your payload calculation?

Height sensor adjustment:

OEM spacer for a bit more down travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeCKis300

Observer
Thanks tbisaacs. Yes, those are the primary adjustments. Last piece of it would be a spring spacer in the rear suspension, which works somewhat similar to the spacer at the front suspension to preload the coil springs. I added a 20mm spacer at the rear coil springs which helps add overhead to the AHC hydraulic system to handle additional payload and trailering. I have an Airstream 27FB that is 1200lb tongue weight so I wanted to make sure it handled it well.

The sensor lift, AHC lift on demand, and tire lift from 35s, all add up to solid lift for clearance.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Question on these LC spacers: How is this different from any coil spring spacer on these inexpensive lift leveling kits people are putting on their rigs to add bigger tires?

TeCKis300

Observer
Question on these LC spacers: How is this different from any coil spring spacer on these inexpensive lift leveling kits people are putting on their rigs to add bigger tires?

The physical parts are the same but they work differently with the LX AHC system. The suspension height/lift is not governed by the springs neutral point (or with spacers). It is governed by the AHC ECU based on the height sensors at each corner, as the system can compensate and hydraulically lift, even without spacers. Sensor lifts can go from mild to wild, ~2" built in adjustment that affects all L/M/H positions. Which means "high" which lifts a further 3", can potentially be a total of 5" lift. Add 35s, 7"...

It would be worthwhile to note that the LX suspension is not the typical air suspension. It's a robust and reliable hydro-pneumatic system. The overall suspension works to support the vehicle in two ways 1) Tender coil springs 2) Hydraulic struts (in place of classic shocks)

For the sake of understanding, they notionally support the vehicle 50:50. By adding spacers to the springs, it pre-loads them to carry more of the weight at neutral height, say 60/40, coil springs to hydraulic shock. This allows the hydraulic portion to bear additional payload weight when laden above and beyond the factory setup. Or when lifted as the coil springs relax, adding spacers will re-load their portion of normal weight, which maintains AHC payload capacity.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94