Generator ban in California?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As for 8.2kwh micro inverter system in CA. We typically see a peak around July 15th of 52-54kwh generated per day. Most people not familiar with solar typically don’t realize how fast your production numbers crash as you head into winter months. By October a clear perfect solar day our top days of generation might be 25kwh.
By Mid November a top day might be 16kwh.
December-January a top day might be 10-12kwh
I agree, With the Generator what size Plug In Charger do you use to Charge the Battery Bank, ? Reason I ask is because I was trying to find a workshop type charger with a Guaranteed UP TO 100A out put, I bought a 35Ah Charger a long while ago and the best I have seen it put out is about 26/27A, Sure it will put out over 300 on the Boost Start function but thats no good for charging Ay.
no battery in my setup
Unless you count the baby battery the home office sits on which is on a 120v plug.

Keep in mind even my 8.2kwh 29 solar panel system sits behind a 100amp breaker. A 3500watt generator typically has a 25amp max output.
So any devices be it chargers, hot plates etc cant be pulling more than those sources can give.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Regarding 8.2kwh in CA
Peak season is July 15th 52-54kwh daily generated take is typical.

October perfect day we might make 25kwh for the day
November perfect day 16-18kwh
December-January 8-12kwh

Mid February we see increasing numbers daily

by March April were in the high 20’s low 30’s

I have a large pool which I manage filter hours in step with solar production. So winter months no pool filter, not needed any way. Etc

We have a plug-in hybrid which typically see’s daily 5-6kwh of charge. Its a solid 15-20mile ev only range. Home office move it went 13 months between gas station visits lol.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
As for 8.2kwh micro inverter system in CA. We typically see a peak around July 15th of 52-54kwh generated per day. Most people not familiar with solar typically don’t realize how fast your production numbers crash as you head into winter months. By October a clear perfect solar day our top days of generation might be 25kwh.
By Mid November a top day might be 16kwh.
December-January a top day might be 10-12kwh

no battery in my setup
Unless you count the baby battery the home office sits on which is on a 120v plug.

Keep in mind even my 8.2kwh 29 solar panel system sits behind a 100amp breaker. A 3500watt generator typically has a 25amp max output.
So any devices be it chargers, hot plates etc cant be pulling more than those sources can give.
Cool, So your pulling power direct from the solar, I never heard/seen that before,

So why no battery bank to store power for in times of need ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cool, So your pulling power direct from the solar, I never heard/seen that before,

So why no battery bank to store power for in times of need ?
Not cost effective!! I only have 90 hours on my generator over 2.5 yrs of use. I would need about $30,000 in battery equipment to do what my $2100 of generator and transfer switch does.

No my solar is grid linked. If I upgrade to the IQ-8 micro inverters possibly next yr my solar setup can power the house directly no battery or grid tie. Only sun needed. That technology is what changes the battery thing immensely as in why bother?

grid linked solar shuts off when no grid power is detected. IQ-8 new inverter technology changes that. Literally a game changer in solar technology

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Not cost effective!! I only have 90 hours on my generator over 2.5 yrs of use. I would need about $30,000 in battery equipment to do what my $2100 of generator and transfer switch does.

No my solar is grid linked. If I upgrade to the IQ-8 micro inverters possibly next yr my solar setup can power the house directly no battery or grid tie. Only sun needed. That technology is what changes the battery thing immensely as in why bother?

grid linked solar shuts off when no grid power is detected. IQ-8 new inverter technology changes that. Literally a game changer in solar technology
Yeah but how do you get power at night if there are no batteries, ? Do you use Grid power at night and give it back during the Day ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah but how do you get power at night if there are no batteries, ? Do you use Grid power at night and give it back during the Day ?

Don’t need power at night. Typically our fire hazard power shutoffs are in September-October. I might need to run my generator from about 5pm to 8pm for dinner and such. By 9pm we shut down go read a book, go to bed etc.

House wifi network on a basic office upc battery stays up all night. 7am ish go fire up generator. With the IQ-8 micro inverter update by 8:45-9am my off grid solar output would make the generator unnecessary. So my generator useage from no IQ-8 ability 7am -8pm is more like 2hrs in the AM and maybe 3 hours in the pm.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Don’t need power at night. Typically our fire hazard power shutoffs are in September-October. I might need to run my generator from about 5pm to 8pm for dinner and such. By 9pm we shut down go read a book, go to bed etc.

House wifi network on a basic office upc battery stays up all night. 7am ish go fire up generator. With the IQ-8 micro inverter update by 8:45-9am my off grid solar output would make the generator unnecessary. So my generator useage from no IQ-8 ability 7am -8pm is more like 2hrs in the AM and maybe 3 hours in the pm.
Sounds like you have it all worked out, It is not something a person can rush in to, It has cost me $$$ since I started playing with these things, And the more I do the less I know, (y)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you have it all worked out, It is not something a person can rush in to, It has cost me $$$ since I started playing with these things, And the more I do the less I know, (y)
Yup takes talking to people and research also.

went from $30,000-50,000 solar company quotes for junk no name stuff. To custom kit top equipment order from a supplier and electrician install at $19,000 cost?

WSS

Rock Stacker
Everybody has a different idea of liberty. Personally I'd prefer the earth to be a bit cooler, and if cleaning up gas powered emissions helps that - power forward & protect MY liberty.
I prefer common sense over legislation. That is MY liberty.

WSS

Rock Stacker
I was camping this past weekend on private land in the Florida wilderness. 'Twas a hearty group of adventurers. One guy.... just one.... brought a generator. Was it illegal? No. Was it deserving of a pox upon his house? Yes. The reason for the generator? So he can run a floor fan in his tent to help him sleep better.

Variola Major killed about 30% of those infected. Nice bunch of guys here. I will camp alone regardless of my generator status.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I want pox on the houses of all who bring generators into the wilderness.

Sorry, I thought that I was clear on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not Live and let live, There's a billion Acres out there,

You will never find peace and quiet on popular camp grounds, I have a Gas Generator but I have never used it Once since I bought it and Only bought it to charge batteries if I need too but now I have switched to lithium packs I doubt I will ever use the Gas Generator,

Before we had fancy Battery and solar systems Generators were all we had, And in some cases thats all some people can afford.

Reactions: WSS

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Why not Live and let live, There's a billion Acres out there,

You will never find peace and quiet on popular camp grounds, I have a Gas Generator but I have never used it Once since I bought it and Only bought it to charge batteries if I need too but now I have switched to lithium packs I doubt I will ever use the Gas Generator,

Before we had fancy Battery and solar systems Generators were all we had, And in some cases thats all some people can afford.
I made no mention of campgrounds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles