Generation-One Tundra Front Brakes

PaintRock

Adventurer
Good afternoon all, I‘m getting some front brake vibration and it’s time to do the front brakes again. With a twenty-year-old rig that I’m about to put on the market, I don’t want to put a huge investment in, but I want a decent solution. I’ve narrowed it down to a Powerstop rotor and pad kit or a Wagner kit. Any experience with these? This is just for the fronts, the rears are still going strong and i just manually readjusted them. The price difference is negligible.

bkg

Explorer
Hawk Pads, Frozen Rotors.

Put them on 3 1st gen tundras. My favorite combination.

sn_85

Observer
The best and most economical BBK upgrade for the first gen Tundra is to do the GX460 brake conversion. You have to machine a bit off of the GX460 calipers but otherwise everything else fits. There a few FGT owners that can do professional machining of the GX calipers. I'd join the First Gen Tundra owners group on FB and look for Geoffrey Beers (also known as the Yota tech and works at Agility Customs in SLC) or Jim Smola. They both offer machining services.

More info here

Otherwise if you wanted to go big bucks I'd get the Power Brake kit

PaintRock

Adventurer
Mine has the larger calipers that they went to in mid-2002. I don't tow anything anymore and I'm actually planning to sell this rig this year. But i don't want to sell it knowing it needs brakes. The last time i changed the rotors and pads together it did great for several years.

Thanks for the input!

longtrail

PaintRock- did you ever decide what brakes to go with? I'm looking at doing mine as well, on a 06 tundra, and trying to decide between the gx460 calipers vs just better pads and rotors...

SolBeach

I went with gx460 calipers, stock/lexus rotors, stock pads, and stainless lines on my 2004 1st gen Double Cab (OME lift). Works great, and readily accessible wear parts from dealer/amazon, etc. I got the machined calipers from Yota Tech guy (G. Beers). Great service. https://www.facebook.com/TheYotaGuy/

PaintRock

Adventurer
I went with Goodyear brakes and rotors from buybrakes online. They were cheap and had good reviews. So far I'm pretty impressed. We'll see how long they last since this truck likes to make the front brakes do all the work no matter how much i tinker with the rears...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles