General idea of repair costs needed

Purzell

Adventurer
So I am going to look at a clean 1994 80 series with approximately 168,000 miles, second owner since it was one year old, extensive maintenance history available. The seller recently paid a lot of money to have a reputable shop do the following: idle control valve, top end rebuild-head gasket job, valve job and resurfaced head, new A/C and alt belts, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, breather hose, oil change, new radiator and upper rad hose, Toyota coolant, cyl. leak down test. They also got a vehicle inspection with the following items noted as needing repair or recommended:
-Power steering pump leaking possibly at high pressure hose fitting
-rear brakes at 15%
-transfer case seepage at speedo housing
-recommend transmission service

I can probably figure out how to fix that stuff, or not, but I'd like to know if any of it sounds serious...and how much it might be at a shop to use for negotiating the price.

Thanks in advance, I hope to have a new Cruiser pretty soon here!

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
-Power steering pump leaking possibly at high pressure hose fitting
-rear brakes at 15%
-transfer case seepage at speedo housing
-recommend transmission service

Nothing serious. Most are common issues. Brakes (assuming rear disk brakes) are a $50-150 job depending if you need new rotors or can turn the old ones. Pads are $30-70, and you'd have internal parking brake shoes which I haven't prices, but shouldn't see much wear.

power steering pump leak is common and the fix is well documented on IH8MUD

Transfer case seepage is an O ring.

Transmission service is usually a flush a fill with a filter cleaning/inspection. get it done by Toyota. There is a thread on IH8MUD about a particular machine at Toyota shops that flushed properly. Figure a few hundred

Don't undervalue your time if you do the work yourself. shop costs are around $100 an hour, so the transfer case leak might be a $10 o ring and quick work, but the labor would be easy $50-70.

If it were me, I'd be looking for $100 off asking price at least, just to cover unknowns.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
Uh, yeah, $1000. That would be to cover expenses related to the repairs listed. Find out about the last front end rebuild too. That's a $300 job at home, or $700+ at a shop.

For reference, I bought my locked 93 last year for under $6K, with a lift, ARB bumper, snorkel and more. Without the extras it should have been a $4K truck. Mileage was the same.

djsixbillion

Adventurer
Agree with the previous posters, the remaining issues are fairly minor. Having the head gasket already done is a huge plus in my book, just make sure the mechanic used the updated Toyota gasket in the process.

Purzell

Adventurer
Thanks again!

I love this forum!
I was thinking of offering about $1000 below his asking price, which is kind of high. I know he is feeling the sting from the expensive repairs he just recently made and the truck is nice and clean, so hopefully we will reach a compromise!
Good to know nothing is too serious.

Purzell

Adventurer
Well I bought it! Not the prettiest cosmetically but lots of good maintenance that would have added up quickly. I love it so far, going to start fixing the small stuff (slow windows, trim etc) next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles