General Grabber AT2?

oldblue

I'm surprised to hear the winter performance gripes- A friend has them on both his Silverado and Xterra- swears by them for winter driving. A little loud otherwise, and definitely run on the large end, size wise.

It's a matter of expected performance and reference points. The grabbers are going to be better than some tires in winter conditions: for example coming from a mud tire, a low end all terrain, or a basic all season tire a user may feel that they are a superior tire.

Gregster

Observer
The Grabber AT2's at my local Canadian Tire store have holes for studs. I imagine they would be a dandy winter tire if they were studded.

bugnout

Adventurer
I'm on my second set of AT2's. I liked them enough to buy them again. The only complaint I have is that like most tires, the rubber gets hard over time. Grip on snow and ice is great for the first couple of years.

I have a Jeep Liberty Diesel, and am running 235x85R16's

Gerdo

Observer
I was considering them on my last tire purchase but they are much heaver than most. I went with the Goodyear Duratracs, Awesome tire!

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
I am no professional, but I have to say the general grabber just looks like a horrible low traction tire to me, when ever I see them they remind me of a pair of old Les Schwab wild countries that I had on an old ford. Horrible to say the least. I was pretty amazed to see the xoverland guys go with that tire clear up to alaska over the bfg km2. I assume it was sponsorship, I think I would prefer to pay for a good tire then get a poor free tire but..... From what I have seen on the vids of xoverland that tire turns into a street slick quickly and they get stuck. Looks like it would be an easy tire to put chains on though.

Cam-shaft.

My tire guy made me an awesome deal on some LT265/70/17 Duratracs. It was only slightly more expensive than getting the General Grabbers.

Oh and the new tires fit with no rubbing (mostly around town so far, to be fair) on a stock suspension.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Expedition Overland Grabber AT2 experience.

Expedition Overland is sponsored by General Tire, but the assessment below is my honest impression. I would have to say this about the grabber AT2, They are great for the money! All around I have run three sets of them. They have handled and performed great on the Tacoma. Wear has been significantly higher on the Land Cruiser due to its weight and towing a bunch with the Xventure. AT2 wear has been equivelant to/vs the BFG all terrain on the Tacoma. I have found that the Grabber AT2 clear better in the mud and I prefer the performance of the Grabber AT2 over the BFG All Terrain in the mud (however, it is not a mud terrain tire and I and General would never make that claim its a true ALL TERRAIN). Within the group at XO we have come to a conclusion that for the price point that General has them at they are a great buy and we would not hesitate to buy them. THE BFG all terrain and AT2 have similar snow handling however the Generals have the ability to be easily studded (pre drilled). I have a studded set and have been very happy with them (over the performance of the BFG all terrain 8 ply in the snow). I run interstate and a dirt road everyday to work. Often times in deep snow, ice, slush over a wide range of temps 90 to -35 etc. The studs are a great bonus. I would not hesitate to buy them for any of my vehicles.

Clay-

the59sound

Observer
I ran them on my tj wrangler. They did great on road but off road where I live mud sticks bad. They didn't clean out very well. If you don't deal with mud very often then they are pretty nice

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

jg45

Had them on my KJ. They were terrible in mud. Turned to slicks instantly. I was expecting that though with the tight tread pattern. What I wasn't expecting was how much the Colorado rocks would take out of them. Lots of tread rubber chunks gone.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
I've got them on my 03' Double Cab Tacoma and am happy with them. I plow for the county and live in the Tahoe area where we see our fair share of snow. Running 235/85R16 and they are a bit stiff. If you are looking for an all terrain tire this is a great tire but remember it is an "all terrain tire" you can only expect so much from it. My truck is a daily driver being in the worst that the Sierra storms can throw at us to driving to our favorite camp and fishing spots. We are not rock crawling or mudding with it. Think about what the majority use is and shop accordingly. Good luck. Tire Rack has them on sale for $138 each in the size I mentioned above.

Last edited:

djsixbillion

Adventurer
Agree with most of the above. The AT2 is a great tire for the money, and also happens to be one of the few still available in 27x8.5-14 to fit my Syncro:

IMG_1985.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have been running TreadWright Wardens the last 55k and they have been great. I am getting something else in the spring though. I just don't like the weight of the TWs). I have it down to the Duratracs or General Grabbers also. I wouldn't mind the "pink letter" Grabbers but they seemed to have stopped making them in a 285/75/16.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Expedition Overland is sponsored by General Tire, but the assessment below is my honest impression. I would have to say this about the grabber AT2, They are great for the money! All around I have run three sets of them. They have handled and performed great on the Tacoma. Wear has been significantly higher on the Land Cruiser due to its weight and towing a bunch with the Xventure. AT2 wear has been equivelant to/vs the BFG all terrain on the Tacoma. I have found that the Grabber AT2 clear better in the mud and I prefer the performance of the Grabber AT2 over the BFG All Terrain in the mud (however, it is not a mud terrain tire and I and General would never make that claim its a true ALL TERRAIN). Within the group at XO we have come to a conclusion that for the price point that General has them at they are a great buy and we would not hesitate to buy them. THE BFG all terrain and AT2 have similar snow handling however the Generals have the ability to be easily studded (pre drilled). I have a studded set and have been very happy with them (over the performance of the BFG all terrain 8 ply in the snow). I run interstate and a dirt road everyday to work. Often times in deep snow, ice, slush over a wide range of temps 90 to -35 etc. The studs are a great bonus. I would not hesitate to buy them for any of my vehicles.

Clay-

You've mentioned a few times that the weight of the Land Cruiser is what is getting it stuck in a lot of these situations....Ive never seen either of the Tacomas get stuck, so my guess is the AT2 is working pretty darn well for a 'normal' vehicle load out weight. That said, the previous Tacoma seemed to do well on everything, and IIRC, it was only running a 30.5 or a 31" tire and a fairly basic OME suspension set up.

I think a lot of people have a tendency to over-buy on both tire aggressiveness and tire size for what they need to do. People see a youtube of their vehicle in a mud bog or rock crawling, and buy tires according to that, when in reality they have no intention of actually doing any of those things. (but plenty do, obviously) I want the best 'do anything' tire, that can handle some mud, rocky trails, dirt trails, wet pavement, snow, is durable, and lots of highway getting me there...and a fully lugged mud terrain tire just isnt it. I looked hard at the goodyear duratrack, but they seem to wear really quickly and they are not durable at all. Its lead me to the AT2 or maybe a KM2. (although i never had any issues with the BFG all terrain either)

Been very happy with my duratracs so far. Not a lot of off-road opportunities but they have been great in deep snow, packed snow, mud and dirt roads. No rubbing at all.

Regarding tire life, I bought a set of 5 and will be using the spare in my tire rotations. I hope to get 50k miles out of them, and I only put about 5k miles on my truck per year so they should last awhile.

I think when people are choosing tires they think in the wrong terms. Often they say that they are 95% on pavement and only 5% off-road, so they buy according to that. I look at it differently. The amount of time spent on road is irrelevant. The maximum difficulty of the road I want to travel is what I base my decision on. Does you no good to buy a tire that is great 95% of the time on pavement when you are in front of the last 100' to get to your destination and you can't make it because you got tires that aren't aggressive enough. The last time I got stuck in deep snow was because of that way of thinking (and some inexperience too lol)

I don't see any reason to go bigger than 265/70/17. I think this is the size I am going to build my truck around.

psykokid

Explorer
I've got a set in LT235/85R16 on my disco that i scored a great deal on. They were dam near brand new, still had all mold lines on them. For everyday driving they seem fine. A lot quieter than the BFG-KM's i was running. Havent had a chance to take them offroading yet. Will report back in a couple of weeks after i've had a chance to play in the dirt with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles