Gen3 Tire Size

Leeson

Reviving this thread to ask opinions.
I am considering either BF Goodrich KO2 or Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in 255/75/17 (32.05" diameter) in load class C. The tires seem similar, kind of a coin toss so I'd probably go with the Duratracs since they are cheaper in this size. My question is if that seems a good size choice. I like that they're a bit on the tall side without being real heavy (43 lbs)
About the truck:
Stock final drive, 4.4?
Mainly used for road trips, off-roading for the purpose of camping and exploring, and winter driving
2" lift (Dobinson's new IMS kit)
17" TRD wheels (ptr20-35110)

The wheels and lift aren't on yet, probably next weekend. I think that size tire will fit well and the offset should be good, those wheels are a +4 I believe. The 255/75/17 size is 10mm more narrow than most of you are running, and should be slightly better in the snow, slightly worse in sand. TIA

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If the rig does not get much time off highway, you're fine with either choice.

One of the criteria I look for is three ply sidewalls, but it does not sound like you really need this feature.
The other thing I consider on the Montero is availability of the size I choose. Since I use the vehicle for extended travel, having a tire size that is easy to get is one of my criteria as well. (I'm running 265/75/16, you can get this size at just about any tire shop around the country.)
You might also consider looking a General Tires, they are affordable. I've got these on both my kid's rigs (AT3 and ATX).
Cheers

Leeson

• BOLT CIRCLE / P.C.D.: 6 On 139.7 mm
  • DIAMETER: 17"
  • FINISH: Matte Black
  • LOGO: TRD Center Cap
  • MATERIAL: Cast Aluminum
  • NUMBER OF SPOKES: 6
  • OFFSET: 4 mm
  • SPECIAL EDITION: Trd Pro
^^^ from the Toyota website, although I'm not sure what this part means, the part about 11mm plus 4mm:
  • 11-mm. with 4-mm. wheel offset widens the overall vehicle track width by 0.9-in. (22 mm.) for more aggressive stance
@ChrisCosta416 After reading your wheel guide, what is the verdict with lug-centered vs hub-centered? Should I get hub centric rings or are they not necessary?

ChrisCosta416

^^^ from the Toyota website, although I'm not sure what this part means, the part about 11mm plus 4mm:
  • 11-mm. with 4-mm. wheel offset widens the overall vehicle track width by 0.9-in. (22 mm.) for more aggressive stance
@ChrisCosta416 After reading your wheel guide, what is the verdict with lug-centered vs hub-centered? Should I get hub centric rings or are they not necessary?
Good to know! Pretty sure they changed the offset recently, given the disclaimer that you mentioned.

Yes you should get hub-centric aluminum rings. I got mine from https://www.uswheeladapters.com/

DumbUglyDragon

@Leeson The wheel is a +4mm Offset. The 11mm reference is the difference from the stock 4Runner wheel, which is +15mm (15-4 =11mm, wheels stick out 11mm more on each side when mounted on the 4Runner).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier