Gen2.5 2000 Montero factory rear locker install

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I have a 9.5” 3rd member with SR air locker and 4.63 gears in it for sale if that helps you? Pm me for details.

d*rock

I have a 9.5” 3rd member with SR air locker and 4.63 gears in it for sale if that helps you? Pm me for details.
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I'm still trying to find out exactly what I have so I can figure out exactly what I'd need. I think I'm also not 100% sure which part is 9" or 9.5". I was reading into it being driver's side axle (drive shaft), but you're saying 9.5" 3rd member. What exactly is 9" or 9.5"? Thanks!

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I'm still trying to find out exactly what I have so I can figure out exactly what I'd need. I think I'm also not 100% sure which part is 9" or 9.5". I was reading into it being driver's side axle (drive shaft), but you're saying 9.5" 3rd member. What exactly is 9" or 9.5"? Thanks!

For the assembly I'm selling, the Ring Gear is 9.5" in diameter. I don't know anything about the axles or driveshafts though so can't help you there.

4.jpg

d*rock

I have 4.875 ratio gears, it’s stamped on the metal plate in the engine bay. What size gears would that put my SR at? Confused I am. :)

Last edited:

SD_Montero

Observer
So the arb locker does fit in a 96 ls rear (9inch) ??? I have a front locker already ... having the rear one would make it just about unstoppable ...

Elloinfocus

Sorry I haven't check the forum for awhile. It turned out great. I was able to do some black diamond trails here in California.

The gen2.5s are prewired for rear diff lock. You just need the following parts from a 98-99 gen2.5 with lockers:

-Locker (get the whole pumpkin for ease of swap)
-Rear axle shaft (Drivers side, pick the whole thing for ease of swap)
-air pump (underneath middle passenger seat)
-Locker ECU (inside rear panel on the drivers side)
-Switch (lower center console next to the cig lighter)

Just run your own vacuum lines and viola!!

Hello. Can I run an after market pump like the ARB ones and locate my own switch? Thanks

plh

Explorer
Hello. Can I run an after market pump like the ARB ones and locate my own switch? Thanks
Factory Mitsubishi locker? Not really straight forward with an ARB compressor. Mitsubishi locker uses 6 to 8 psi, the ARB locker uses around 90 psi. So using a straight ARB compressor setup on a Mitsubishi stock locker would blow out the locker diaphragm. Might be able to externally regulate (and buffer) it down somehow, have not looked into that.

Elloinfocus

If you can't find a Mitsu locker air pump you can use the vacuum pump from a Montero cruise control, it's the same assembly with a different bracket and a hose on the suck side instead of the blow side.

SMART!! I tested my cruise control while driving a few days ago and it didn't seem to work. i need to see what's up. I would be able to just locate it, test if the pump portion works i can just make my own switch from it, ya?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles