Gen2.5 2000 Montero factory rear locker install

gen2.5dude

First of all I would like to thank this site and all the members for all the knowledge that i gained. I normally like to be incognito and just creep around on this site to see what's in classifieds, project builds, offroad adventures, and to gain knowledge about my rig. So here goes my first post.

I purchased my rig about six months ago. I have learned a lot from my recent attempt to install a factory rear air locker on my 2000 Montero and felt that this is knowledge that could help other members. I say "attempt" because I couldn't complete the install since I found out that I needed the shorter rear left axle shaft from a 98-99 w/ locker (right axle fits perfectly). I understand many members have opted for the higher gearing mostly from SRs but I am happy with my rig and prefer to stay oem everything including gearing.

Here is what I learned:
- Year 2000 gen2.5 Monteros are pre-wired for rear lockers (locker was not a factory option for this year)
- Rear left axle shaft is shorter w/ locker

The below list is redundant and has been covered but for ease of information to new members I will list them.
Factory items you need are:
- R/D Switch (I got my from a 95 SR at pickapart)
- locker ecu/module (I got my from a 95 SR at pickapart)
- air pump (I got this from a forum a local forum member, Nick, a very cool guy)
- rear left axle shaft from 98-99 gen2.5 w/ locker (I need this!!)SRs are different
- 3rd member (I got this from Nick, he intalled higher gearing in his 99 gen2.5 and sold this to me)
- locker electric cable
- air lines

Right now I am still lockerless; had to put everything back since I didn't have the correct shaft. I scoured the local pickaparts LKQ but couldn't source one. If anyone local to SGV has a 98-99 Montero rear left axle shaft w/ locker available please message me.

Last edited:

nckwltn

Explorer
when you do find a gen 2.5, pull out the locker pump bracket... that will make it a cleaner install.

Thats pretty awesome that it's already wired.

I'll keep an eye out for a 2.5 at the parts near me.

plh

Explorer
Being Nick removed his locker, what did he do with the correct shorter axle shaft?

nckwltn

Explorer
Being Nick removed his locker, what did he do with the correct shorter axle shaft?

I used the locker from a 95 with the 4.63 gearing. Swapping out the stock 4.29 gearing.

Because I went from locker to locker, everything just worked.

Also, as it turns out the axles from the (gen 2) are different then the 00. the 00 has a different setup for ABS. At least this is true for the 95. Perhaps abs setups changed in later years.

Sent from my iPhone

gen2.5dude

The 95 SR (that I picked) shaft length was perfect with the exception about ABS setup like Nick pointed out. The gen2.5 shaft has a slightly larger diameter at the location where the ABS gear adapter sits just before the spindle.

Last edited:

gen2.5dude

Sorry I haven't check the forum for awhile. It turned out great. I was able to do some black diamond trails here in California.

The gen2.5s are prewired for rear diff lock. You just need the following parts from a 98-99 gen2.5 with lockers:

-Locker (get the whole pumpkin for ease of swap)
-Rear axle shaft (Drivers side, pick the whole thing for ease of swap)
-air pump (underneath middle passenger seat)
-Locker ECU (inside rear panel on the drivers side)
-Switch (lower center console next to the cig lighter)

Just run your own vacuum lines and viola!!

d*rock

Hi, if anyone is still watching this (I know it's old) I'd be interested in knowing what changes about what parts are needed if I have the 4.89 rear diff gear? Do I still need the entire 3rd member (pumpkin). I also don't have ABS, so not sure how that affects the need for the drive axle. To add context, I have a '98 SR Puerto Rico/Guam-spec truck that had some differences with the US-spec. Including not having the rear locker. It's an oddball compared to the US version. :) Thanks for any info!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hi, if anyone is still watching this (I know it's old) I'd be interested in knowing what changes about what parts are needed if I have the 4.89 rear diff gear? Do I still need the entire 3rd member (pumpkin). I also don't have ABS, so not sure how that affects the need for the drive axle. To add context, I have a '98 SR Puerto Rico/Guam-spec truck that had some differences with the US-spec. Including not having the rear locker. It's an oddball compared to the US version. :) Thanks for any info!

In 5 years I have only seen two 3 liter early SR's with a locker in the salvage yards, while it is an easy swap they are very rare to find.

Reactions: plh

d*rock

With the 3.0 engine I'm not sure which axle you have, if you have the 9" axle that 3.0L LS's had then the 9.5" locker won't fit regardless so you either need to do a complete swap to a 9.5" rear axle with the locker from a gen2 or 2.5 and 4.90 gears from a Sport with the 3.5 - or, instead just do an ARB locker and not worry about any of that stuff.

Shovel, is there an easy way to measure or know if I have the 9” or 9.5” axle other than pulling it out? Assuming it’s the driver’s side, yes? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles