Gen2/2.5 Pajero Montero rear Sway Bar Quick-Disconnect Questions

Hi all!

So,

Has any one done some sort of a quick disconnect for their rear sway bar on a gen 2/2.5 Montero/Pajero? Any pics, any recommendations on how to do it?

My next question, can the sway bar still be kept captive with both ends disconnected, and you are still able to wheel and fully articulate without it getting in the way? Any ideas here?

Lastly, I have seen it done on other off-road vehicles by drilling through the sway bar end bolts and just putting a cotter pin through it to keep it secured for quick removal, is this the best/easiest bang for buck way to do it?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks! ?

I did read this but wondering is anything has changed?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Just buy a universal sway bar from Currie or Skyjacker or someone. You're going to have to do your own measuring and homework.

jfsba10.jpg

Just buy a universal sway bar from Currie or Skyjacker or someone. You're going to have to do your own measuring and homework.

jfsba10.jpg
Will look into it, thanks!
Its a tough position for me, as my car isn't a full on toy, and has to serve many purposes and roles :rolleyes:

Its a DD, a holiday vehicle for the family (including my precious 1 year old daughter), weekend tough trial warrior etc

I strongly feel and see the benefit of the sway bar on-road, I love how my Pajero handles, even being tall and heavy. But I want to max its potential off-road as well, and keep pushing myself and the vehicle.
There are many vehicles where once the sway bar is disconnected, it stays nicely captive and out of the way of any trouble.
Disconnecting the oem sway bar and end links on the rear of the Pajero is quick and simple enough (quicker would always be appreciated though), but keeping it out of trouble once disconnected is the main issue here unfortunately!

That's more the issue I'm facing

Toasty

Your best bet is to learn how to 4 wheel with a sway bar on and connected, it's actually very predictable compared to other vehicles. Montero's just don't tip easily, with time you'll get comfortable with a tire waaaay off the ground and master the 2-3 wheel crawl. If you get to the point where you're spending more time offroad then look into a disconnectable sway bar.

I would say pick a weekend where you're out without the wife/kid and just remove the sway bar, drive the vehicle at different speeds and terrains, if it feels unsafe or unpredictable, just put the bar back on. Toasty can confirm this or disagree if he's had a different experience, but I noticed almost no on road difference without a rear sway bar, probably noticed more difference with a roof rack on as far as wallowing/swaying. Like I said in your build thread, I would not remove your front sway though, that makes a much bigger difference. I've had both off for years and we have 80mph (128kph) highways here in Idaho and I haven't had an issue driving on them.

Toasty

I ran without for decades as well, I have a disconnectable front sway bar now though.

RThompson

These autolynx look interesting. The shortest fitment is 6.5" would require mounting modifications

Your best bet is to learn how to 4 wheel with a sway bar on and connected, it's actually very predictable compared to other vehicles. Montero's just don't tip easily, with time you'll get comfortable with a tire waaaay off the ground and master the 2-3 wheel crawl. If you get to the point where you're spending more time offroad then look into a disconnectable sway bar.

@Toasty Noted, and makes sense to me.
have a look here, 10:13, trust me, I know the Montero's/Pajeros don't roll easy!!!?Scary moment....
I am definitely getting use to big wheel lifts at the front, every time I go out, it's always a matter of when not will it happen. Very easy to lift a front wheel in these trucks. When I first started wheeling the Pajero I often didn't even realize I had lifted the front or just how high I did until I saw the footage!

@RThompson Thanks!

@MummifiedCircuitry That actually sounds like a very good idea, will take it off sometime and see how I feel driving it, thanks for the suggestion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier