GEN1 TV Cable adjustment

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
I’m looking for some help in adjusting my TV cable on my GEN1. I can’t seem to get it right. Does anyone have any tricks for dialing it in?
I have relatively new fluid.
I have been keeping it topped up (have a slow mystery leak I’m tracking down)

It seems that to get it to shift smoothly I need the TV cable to be too loose which will allow too much slippage in transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe recently I detailed a method to do this. it has been in the last 6 months or so.
it's quite simple but terribly important adj.

if ur transmission is out of spec due to pressures or wear. getting the TV cable to work can be a hit or miss affair.
altering ur TPS can also change ur shift points.

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
I think I finally got this sorted out. Spent some time today adjusting and driving.

Now the question I have is whether there is any damage from the incorrect setting. I’m assuming that transmission slippage would be the only detectable issue, is there anything else? The fluid smells fine.

chadzeilenga

So I’ve been driving around town/work with my TV cable set with the 1mm gap. This gave it slightly firmer shifts but reduced the downshifting. It did seem to hold onto the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points a little longer than desired, did not appear to be slipping.

I took it on the highway for a 30min ride today and was running at about 65mph and was at about 2800-2900 RPM. About 15min into the drive I started to notice a light thumping coming up from the floorboard under my feet. It went away if I changed the RPM both up and down. Everything else seemed normal.

I arrived at destination and on the way home the thumping/vibration was gone. The shifting of trans was significantly improved with much softer shifts at lower RPM and no more downshifting. I’m thinking it was some sort of sticking valvebody, but don’t know transmissions to assume anything else.

Anyone else ever seen this before or know of what else it could be? Should I be dropping the pan to look for metal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles