GEN1 Turn Signal Switch Help

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
The original turn signal switch in my GEN1 89 Montero LWB was starting to not work shortly after I bought it. I would try to use my signals and nothing would happen. A few cycles of the lever and occasionally they would come back on. Then they would start working again for no apparent reason. I swapped the switch with another that I found in a local yard and it also worked for a while, but started to have the same issues of the turn signals being completely dead. I'm assuming that since both were from vehicles with +200k, they were worn out. I was not able to troubleshoot the old one, but do have it if anyone knows what to do to fix.

The part I have on my Montero is MB571682 which has the Headlight Washer & Cruise integrated into the switch. I am quickly learning that they are not available in US or globally from what I can tell (Partsouq). Does anyone know if this might be available for a Galloper or where I can find? Can I buy a Non-Cruise version and modify?

If anyone has a used, I'd be interested.

chadzeilenga

Never mind, it’s the hazard switch. Found a nice write up by Jay Ayala on Expo detailing the cleaning process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudraider

Adventurer
Lol. I read your firstpost and immediately thought hazard switch. Then read your second post.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: plh

chadzeilenga

76e19e1ad31f7c6e47d9ca880858dc3a.jpg

I cleaned and installed a spare.

lordtrunks

camp loser
Also when it stops working you also lose brake lights and it happens without you knowing it. I've been driving these trucks a long time trust me that hazard switch is no good. But if you want to keep it stock buy a new one don't keep that brittle old switch in there.

lordtrunks

camp loser
It's your ride buy it new buy it now because in 10 years there may not be a oem replacement.... then you'll have to buy the carling and just not ever replace it again.

I've had a terrible time finding rocker switches that hold up.
the carling, referred to here is a branded product.
are they superior to others?

I'm my case every circuit has a relay, I'm not pushing much through the switches, and still I find the quality to be , at best, average

chadzeilenga

Turn signals stopped working again. I checked the flasher which was installed last summer and I noticed a bunch of rusty water. Not sure where water is coming from, perhaps a leaky window seal.
83a30a103bef00a487cbf997c8bb46b5.jpg

Is this blinker fluid....LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke