GEN1 Steering Gearbox Rebuild

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
I'm almost done with the rebuild of my front suspension and steering components (Ball Joints, Bushings, Tie Rods, Idler Arm etc). I pulled the old pitman arm last night to replace and I was originally going to just replace the output shaft seal on my steering gearbox, but I see that it is possibly weeping at the top near the input.

Has anyone serviced the seals on a gearbox when it was installed or is it required to remove? Aside from the weepage, I don't really have any issues with the gearbox on my Montero and would rather avoid opening up a can of worms that I wasn't prepared for yet.

Also, I couldn't find any threads, but has anyone rebuilt one of these gearboxes? My main concern would be parts availability. My thought was to pick up a used one and rebuild it and then swap them.

What is the difference in the 1989 Pitman arm options. I ordered the <6/89 version as mine was an earlier build, but just curious what changed.

Last edited:

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I believe the year difference/change is in the diameter of the Pitman arm shaft. Gear box re-seal, not necessarily rebuild, kits are available through Rock Auto, if I'm not mistaken, but I can't offer any experience on tearing into one.

John B.

Oso

Forest Defecator
Hi All,
I'm almost done with the rebuild of my front suspension and steering components (Ball Joints, Bushings, Tie Rods, Idler Arm etc). I pulled the old pitman arm last night to replace and I was originally going to just replace the output shaft seal on my steering gearbox, but I see that it is possibly weeping at the top near the input.

Has anyone serviced the seals on a gearbox when it was installed or is it required to remove? Aside from the weepage, I don't really have any issues with the gearbox on my Montero and would rather avoid opening up a can of worms that I wasn't prepared for yet.

Also, I couldn't find any threads, but has anyone rebuilt one of these gearboxes? My main concern would be parts availability. My thought was to pick up a used one and rebuild it and then swap them.

What is the difference in the 1989 Pitman arm options. I ordered the <6/89 version as mine was an earlier build, but just curious what changed.

have you considered upgrading to a gen 2 steering box?

It's almost bolt-in easy - just elongate a mounting hole.

would also give you the stronger pitman and idlers as well as a tighter turning radius . junkyard price isn't expensive and parts will be easier to source for awhile.

chadzeilenga

Yea, I had looked into that earlier, but I didn’t want to create a suspension geometry problem to solve another I didn’t have yet.

I have all the steering and suspension maintenance caught up, so I will probably just look at rebuilding another GEN1 box at some point.

One strange thing is I replaced the pitman arm shaft seal and thought there was packing behind it, but it was just solid machined. The parts book shows packing?

e86f35ed02d185c5e716ceb798f054bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke