Gen1 frame replacement.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I've been shopping lately, and I'm coming across a few trucks that fell under the frame recall. In theory I can see the pros and cons to a complete frame replacement on a 11-14 year old truck, but I'm looking for some 1st hand experience. Anyone?

marathonracer

Adventurer
I had a very positive experience with frame replacement on my 03 Tacoma so much so that I'm hoping that when I take my tundra in they find a hole! The dealership had the truck for a while and did some other work while they had it in pieces that I paid for but it turned out great. They did not re-install my add a leaf when they changed the leaf pack.... yup I got a new one out of the deal. Toyota put over 11k of parts and labor into my truck. I felt like I had a whole new truck basically. Then a few year later the rear diff rusted and started leaking. I was able to patch it up but ended up selling the truck to get the tundra.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Likewise. Great experience with my 2002 DC frame replacement. They also replaced brake hard lines and some suspension bits in the front along with the rear springs. I had them replace a couple of coolant lines that are in the back of the motor and fix a leaking (VERY SMALL) intake or valve cover (can't remember which) while the motor was out. Since then, the truck is as tight as always, no rattles and no visits to fix a mixed item. I would not be concerned buying a Taco with a replaced frame....

Acher550

How can i get my truck checked for the recall? i asked at my local dealer and they had no clue what i was talking about...

Galvatron

I lost my 99 taco to the recall in '10 Upside I paid 6k for the truck got 12.5k cash 9 months later. They were paying 1.5 best book value when it all started.

Galvatron

How can i get my truck checked for the recall? i asked at my local dealer and they had no clue what i was talking about...

It's not an official recall it's a "warranty extension". Recall is a dirty word OEM's hate.
Call Toyota customer care. They should be able to help.
1-800-331-4331

xjaugie

Adventurer
When I go my 1st gen I did some research on the frame deal and on the toyota website you can enter your VIN and it will tell you the history of the truck and whether the frame issue has been resolved or not. In my case my 95.5's frame is solid as a rock and I had no outstanding "warranty Extensions" listed. I believe the frame was replaced by the PO. I'm only the 2nd owner of the truck and after 217,000 miles and 20 years she is still running strong and working as my DD and overland vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne