Gen. III roof rails/rack

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
After over ten years of abuse the factory roof rails on the Gen.III Montero started to show signs of failure.
The rails between the roof mounting points were loose.
After some research, I decided on a system from Rhino-Rack.
The Montero specific system includes new tracks that mount into the roof.
The head liner was dropped and the factory rails were removed.
This is what the inside of the Gen.III factory roof rails look like when they are taken apart.
P1012143.JPG
P1012146.JPG
P1012138.JPG

The new rails were attached using a combination of bolts and rivets.
P1012154.JPG
P1012152.JPG

The mounting legs attached to the new track.
P1012155.JPG
One of three HD cross bars.
P1012156.JPG

Tracks and cross bars installed.
P1012159.JPG

Rack mounted.
P1012200.JPG
P1012201.JPG

The new system was tested on a desert run in the spring and an early summer trip to the Sierras. The rack was so solid when fully laden- showing no signs of flex (unlike the tired factory rails and only two cross bars).

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Nice.

I wonder how hard it would be to make rack legs that mount directly to the channel?

Not hard at all- 1x3/8 flat stock, maybe 4" long, drilled near the ends for mtng holes. 3/4x2" square tube, slight angle on one end, round notch on the other to burn to the basket.
Yoiu need:
Cordless drill, 5/16 drill bit, unibit or hole saw the size of your rack side tube
Angle grinder w/ cut-off disk and soft wheel
110V Buzz-box (wire welder)
Paint.

Inyo_man

Not hard at all- 1x3/8 flat stock, maybe 4" long, drilled near the ends for mtng holes. 3/4x2" square tube, slight angle on one end, round notch on the other to burn to the basket.
Yoiu need:
Cordless drill, 5/16 drill bit, unibit or hole saw the size of your rack side tube
Angle grinder w/ cut-off disk and soft wheel
110V Buzz-box (wire welder)
Paint.

I pondered fabricating a set of "legs", but didn't have all the needed equipment (namely the welder)... it would certainly lower the rack on the roof.
My main concern was strength, and the three cross-bar set up fit the bill. Perhaps some day I'll tackle the fabricating of a leg set.
(Just got back from a week in Plumas National Forest and a week in Tahoe...I'll be leaving on another five day adventure this coming Tuesday.)

Imnosaint:
...that's the same thing that went through my mind when I peered into the inside of the OEM rails.

Thanks for taking a look at the new rail system.

Inyo_man

Very nice. What's the load limit with the three cross bars?

The Rhino Rack specs. list the load rating at 220 lbs.
(However, MM lists the load rating of the Montero roof as far less.)
After mounting the rails through the roof, I have no worries about the strength of this set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles