Gen III Range Per Tank

DSouth

Observer
Hi,

After years of not working I finally got my gas gauge to work again in my 2003 Monty :wings:. Previously, I was using the range computer to estimate time to fill up, and would usually go about 250 miles between fill-ups doing mostly city driving.

Now that I have a working gauge again it got me thinking :coffee: how far other owners were going between fill-ups?

Thanks!

KyleT

Explorer
290-320 ish. About 50/50hwy. That's about 21gallons in the tank. I refill when the counter gets about 50 left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Around town if I drive in stop and go traffic up to about 45 mph I get about 11.69 mpg as of my measurement this morning. This gave me about 220 miles on one tank (probably could have gone another 60-80 based on prior experience when the low fuel idiot light comes on). On the highway staying at about 65-75 mph I can go anout 330 miles on a tank, maybe up to 400 miles based on the previous formula regarding the miles remaining when the idiot light kicks on. Add a bunch of weight for camping gear and/or adult passengers and it drops slightly.

Last edited:

DSouth

Observer
Thanks for the replies! I'm still sorting out some issues I'm having with regard to fill-ups, but it seems like my numbers aren't too far off from the average. It will be great to get the tank sorted out so that I can put in the fuel filler on full, walk away and come back to truely full tank. Right now, it clicks off after about a half gallon and so I have to sit there and hold it and fill the tank very slowly....annoying.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
What did you do to fix your fuel gauge? Mine is acting up a bit :/

Regarding range, it seems pretty poor lately, about 250ish miles per tank.

montypower

Adventure Time!
423 miles was one of the better tanks.

After 25,976 miles the overall average was 15.71mpg. Best was 24mpg. This includes time on 35s and 34s. Off road. Rock crawling. Lots of 4wd (was adventure rig not DD).

I did run out of gas a couple times pushing the limits. But easily could get over 350 miles per tank regardless.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Best I have seen was 320 on the tank before the fuel light came on and that was going to GA to visit my wifes sister and her family. 2 adults and 2 kids and a cargo area a little over half full of our travel stuff with the a/c on majority of the time.

2002 Gen 3

DSouth

Observer
I found a used gauge cluster on ebay for $120 shipped. I tried reflowing the solder on the resistors in the computer for the cluster a few times, but it never fixed the issue for very long(maybe a day or two). So, I decided to try a whole new(to me) computer, which just happened to be cheapest to acquire via a good used cluster. So far it's been working brilliantly, and my ODO reading is only 20k off(lower than actual). I've been seeing some intermittent O2 sensor pre-faults in the computer. I suspect my pre-cats are on their way out, or perhaps it's just the sensor(s). I'll going to test them as I think I could be getting better fuel economy.

What did you do to fix your fuel gauge? Mine is acting up a bit :/

Regarding range, it seems pretty poor lately, about 250ish miles per tank.

Hoytshooter724

423 miles was one of the better tanks.

After 25,976 miles the overall average was 15.71mpg. Best was 24mpg. This includes time on 35s and 34s. Off road. Rock crawling. Lots of 4wd (was adventure rig not DD).

I did run out of gas a couple times pushing the limits. But easily could get over 350 miles per tank regardless.
Was that after you put 4.90's in?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles