Gen. III radiator

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'm searching for an all metal radiator for my '02 Montero.
The only mob that seems to carry an all metal one is Radiator Express.
Model 39946 with a brass tank and copper/brass core fits the Gen. III.
I'm wondering if anyone has run this radiator, and if so what they think.
(The on-line reviews of the company are all over the place...as usual.)

Cheers

Inyo_man

The OEM radiator is a plastic/alum. combo. like most others on the market.
I was curious if folks had tried an all metal variety...and what they thought.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Very good question. The consensus is to always use OEM on the Gen2 (paying to have it roded rather than buying aftermarket) but I have no idea if that applies to Gen3s as well. Following.

Inyo_man

MM wants around $500 for an OEM unit...that's not going to happen...
Having the unit cleaned and rodded is an option, but was hoping to replace it. It definitely has some damage to the fins after over 200k.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Is it possible to rod/clean the Gen III unit? I thought you needed to unsolder/resolder on the end caps to make that work, with plastic ends can you remove and reattach the ends?

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
The CSF are highly valued as all metal radiators for Jeep folks, but they don't make an all metal for Monteros. With that said, I wonder if their plastic tank OEM version is any better quality than what is available through the parts stores?
CSF 2943
IIRC, I chose a TYC via my local independent parts store for my wife's Montero Sport, after falling prey to the big box, online coupon, pick up in store radiator, which failed in less than a year. The TYC has been fine.

Inyo_man

Good point Coffeegoat. I'll have to take a closer look at the OEM unit, but I thought it is plastic tank with alum.

Dave, I just put a CSF all metal rad. into my kid's '86 Toyota 4x4 p/u and it is running perfect temps.
Thanks for the tip on TYC. I'll look into their product.

Another thing the Radiator Express unit has going for it...it's made in the USA.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles