Gen. III cruise control not engaging

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The cruise control on my 2002 Montero isn't engaging.

The dashboard light illuminates when the cruise control switch is depressed, but the system won't set a speed.
I've looked for a fuse that could be out, but I'm having a hard time finding which fuse controls the system. (the manual shows only the brake light fuses in the electrical diagram.)
All of the brake lights are functioning.

I believe the system is vacuum activated, but I can't find a useful diagram.
I'm thinking I missed connecting something (perhaps a vacuum line) after rebuilding the top end of the motor, but can't find anything.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers.

Last edited:

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
The cruise control on my 2002 Montero isn't engaging.

The dashboard light illuminates when the cruise control switch is depressed, but the system won't set a speed.
I've looked for a fuse that could be out, but I'm having a hard time finding which fuse controls the system. (the manual shows only the brake light fuses in the electrical diagram.)
All of the brake lights are functioning.

I believe the system is vacuum activated, but I can't find a useful diagram.
I'm thinking I missed connecting something (perhaps a vacuum line) after rebuilding the top end of the motor, but can't find anything.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers.

Have you checked the FSM that's available for the 2003 on the sticky? There's a very extensive section dealing with how to troubleshoot the cruise control. It shows a few ways to have it do a self check for diagnostic codes (probably not normal ones that a standard OBDII reader can pick up) based on flashes from the cruise control light.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Thanks for the tips.

EyeInTheSky, I can't seem to find the trouble shooting page for the cruise control in the FSM (do you mind posting a link?)...

I'll look into the clock spring as a source of the issue.

Cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier