Gen 3, which timing belt kit and immediate maintainance

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Ooops, did I miss something, I thought he was working on an '02 3.5L.

I think I missed it, I saw the 2001 XLS and the "new one" and translated that as a 3.8L - Normal_dave is correct, my write up should be what you need, and the parts list should match.... let me know if there are any questions.

datsun72

I think I missed it, I saw the 2001 XLS and the "new one" and translated that as a 3.8L - Normal_dave is correct, my write up should be what you need, and the parts list should match.... let me know if there are any questions.

What timing belt came with the Aisin kit and was it made in Japan, was the tensioner NTN? Also was mitsu warehouse the cheapest? I am between them and cherry hill on where to get my OE parts. Thanks!

Last edited:

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Aisin kit has Mitsuboshi belt, a japanese oem manufacturer for several other brands. Best price I found on the Aisin kit was RockAuto. I prefer RC Hill in Florida (mitsubishipartswarehouse). I have not found any other source with better pricing. Service is decent, they will give you part numbers not listed online if you call the parts counter. This kit does not include the tensioner, it is a typo. Order the tensioner from Mitsubishi.
Aisin kit
Strangely, I just got an Aisin kit for my wife's Montero Sport 3.5L, and it does include the NTN tensioner. Note, the Sport 3.5L is different, water pump, and tensioner.

Last edited:

datsun72

Mitsuboshi is reputable, it's strange I saw the Mitsuboshi belt online and it said made in Singapore.. So they might have factories in other countries or outsourcing. I also saw the contitech kit and the belt is made in Germany. I'm not sure why Aisin doesn't include the tensioner on the regular 3.5L, another member here got the kit a few years back and it came with the tensioner.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Everything Normal Dave said, I did a price comparison between all of the OEM places and while prices vary a little bit between component the total for a bunch of parts was always really close. I can't remember why I picked one over the other.

datsun72

Ok received my Aisin kit and Gates timing belt with pulleys.

Aisin has a Mitsuboshi made in Thailand belt, Japan Koyo pulleys and obviously a Aisin water pump, not sure where this is made thoAisin 1 .jpgugh.

The gates belt is made in the U.S. with Japan Koyo pulleys.Aisin 2.jpg
Gates 1.jpg
Gates 2.jpg

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I've always been a big proponent of Gates belts, take a look at mine however, in this post, but keep in mind it is 7 years of service, and a bit over on miles...Replaced it with a Mitsuboshi in the Aisin kit.
Timing belt service Montero Sport

wp_20181124_16_53_55_pro-jpg.485986

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94