Gen 3 Tacoma Towing a VORSHEER XOC Off-Road Trailer

VORSHEER

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
View attachment 73001652_195824101442903_6567172146693916652_n.mp4

Our last two trailer builds went to Gen 3 Tacoma drivers. Of course, we're partial, but in our eyes that trailer goes nicely behind a Tacoma.

One question we had is that this particular Tacoma needs a trailer brake controller. Any opinions on a Tekonsha Voyager or a Redarc Tow Pro Elite trailer brake controller. Is there a trailer brake controller that you like for a Gen 3 Tacoma?

We're excited to see more pictures from these two trailer and see where TRD takes them.

-David

shade

I've been happy using a Tekonsha P3 (it's more comparable to the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite than the Voyager) for several years with a variety of single & double axle trailers. I'm not sure how Toyota is doing it with the 3rd gen, but my 2nd gen Tacoma (with factory Tow Package) was pre-wired with the correct Tekonsha connector, which made installation that much easier.

After reviewing the Redarc product page, I think the main advantage offered by the Tow-Pro Elite over the P3 is the flexibility in mounting the control knob. Other than that, the products appear to offer about the same functionality, but I'd probably prefer the P3's display over the Redarc.

I'm not sure why Redarc makes such a fuss about having "User Control Mode". The P3 allows similar operation, with fully adjustable braking voltage as well as a manual control lever that can be used at any time. After looking at the Redarc video, I actually prefer the P3's manual control implementation.

Last edited:

VORSHEER

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Thanks shade for your recommendations on those Trailer Brake Controllers.

Here are pictures from San Rafael Swell where our latest XOC went over this weekend.
IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

-David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles