Gen 3 Roof Rack Options

2to4wheels

Adventurer
So the time has come with a second child on the way that I'm going to need to gain some storage up top since we haul our 60lb dog with us a lot. I know there aren't really any off the shelf options made for the Gen 3 but have been exploring low profile platform options that will serve me well for years to come. I like the K9, Frontrunner and Rhino type options and I think I could do it with all three by removing the factory rails and installing their rails into the stock location. Just wondering if anyone has done this or has thought about it. I've talked to Paul at Equipt and the K9 solution would probably work by taking an undrilled rail and drilling the rail at the factory mounting locations. The challenge is I guess our Monty's are pretty narrow and even the K9 narrowest solution at 1250mm (49.2") is pretty wide. Outside rail to rail on Gen 3 is 46".

Anyway, would love to hear some thoughts. Any thoughts between the 3 manufacturers? I'd probably go with either 2m or 2.2m long rack. The 2m is pretty close to the existing lenght of our current rails but may grab a few more inches with the 2.2M

coffeegoat

Adventurer
This is high on my list as well, I sold my standard truck to get the montero and it is sorely lacking in the ability to make home depot runs - lumber just doesn't fit and the stock roof rack isn't nearly strong enough to feel comfortable holding onto much.

I looked into those brands and so far the best option I've found is to just fab one up out of 8020 The rack I've currently got penciled out is roughly $450 and is a full 4'x8' in size (for plywood obviously....). It looks like the roof rack slot on the roof may not be flat but I haven't dug in to deep just yet. Keep the thread going as you keep looking, I'd be interested in other opinions.

2to4wheels

Adventurer
After doing some more research, the K9 solution would definitely work but there narrowest rack is about 50 inches. Our trucks definitely narrow to the top and thus, it would overhang the rails by 2in on each side. A bit too wide for my taste so though I've confirmed it would work (and for some of you, size may be fine), I'm moving on.

1morebike

Adventurer
I built a really cool rack for my gen 1 I could strap 4x8 sheets of plywood to it as it was awesome. The gen 1 blew a head gasket so I bought a gen 3 and my rack would work using the roof rails and so Thule mounts but it would sit so high off the top of the car.

KyleT

Explorer
Depends on what you carry, but don't forget about a hitch rack too. They make swing outs that can carry a good amount.

Also check out Baja racks. They make a bunch and one is bound to fit. As for mounting I think the best bet is to remove the factory rails and make some aluminum blocks that bolt to the roof and bolt the rack to those blocs. Or even those k9 roof rails or similar. I'm not a fan of the flat racks. Having sides makes securing stuff much easier. Load bars will be secure but you will gain a ton of height between the roof and bottom of the rack.

Google the gen4 Pajero roof racks too. Similar roof design might give you some ideas.

Oh and be ready for the noise if you don't have a defector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
The two (proven) options I've seen:

Wood cross bars like ImNoSaint (whose design I copied) or OffroadMuch.

Sabre's custom rack.

The wood is a stopgap for me; at some point in the future I want to completely replace the stock rack, so I'd lean more towards Sabre's method if you want a long term DIY solution.

kdj

Observer
Before I built my own rack I used a Yakima tower and bar system worked well for rocket box, padded boards, ect. I can look around in the shed if you need a part number, but I think it was on of their one size fits most rail jobs.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I bought a cheap cargo basket and then modified it into a platform rack. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I've made a few more changes after this picture but it will give you an idea. Its 45" wide and 64" long mounted on my 2000 Montero Sport using 3 factory cross bars. Plus it only cost me a little over $100 bucks.

image.jpg

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
RPBL-Steel-Mesh-Platform-Large-00.jpg

We have been using Rhino-Rack's Large Steel Mesh Platform mounted directly to the factory rails with u-bolts. It's very similar to Outdooraholic's tray. Provides tons of tie down points, hold plenty of weight, and is very low profile when not loaded.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I bought a cheap cargo basket and then modified it into a platform rack. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I've made a few more changes after this picture but it will give you an idea. Its 45" wide and 64" long mounted on my 2000 Montero Sport using 3 factory cross bars. Plus it only cost me a little over $100 bucks.

View attachment 392582

That is a nice low profile set up. Do you get much wind noise?

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
That is a nice low profile set up. Do you get much wind noise?
Before I installed the deflector, lots of wind noise. After installing the deflector, no wind noise.

My original plan with the basket was to only use it when needed but now with the platform being so low profile I am going to leave it on all the time.

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Before I installed the deflector, lots of wind noise. After installing the deflector, no wind noise.

That is cool. I really like low-pro set ups. I cannot understand why people get heavy, expensive racks with metal tubing and bars that raise the center of gravity and generate a lot of noise. You have a good one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles