Gen 3 Rear Camshaft Seal HELP!!!!!!

Vanya

Can this be done by average DIY mechanic? Refuse to pay 3hrs of labor for 2 bolts on each side and an O-ring.
How many O-rings does it require? Will I mess up Camshaft Position Sensor when removing bolts on Driver's side? Does it need to come out? Sorry about asking but was unable to find any posts on Gen 3 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 3.8 6G75. Thanks in advance...

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I've done this when I did my timing job. If you can reach the sensors on each side, then you can do it easily. It is an awkward location with the firewall and cowl.
The driver side is actually set at a right angle to the shaft (14846).
They are easier to access with the intake manifold removed, but I don't think that is a requirement.
There are more details in the FSM.

PartSouq has OEM sensors that include the oring. Otherwise I would use Denso sensors from RockAuto.

116_410F00219T.gif

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
IIRC there is only the one sensor on the 6G75. FSM seems to also show that.
Note that this view is viewing the back of the engine. You can see the 2 covers for your rear seals.
The passenger side is just 2 bolts and an o-ring. The driver side with the sensor is similar shaped, but I would remove the sensor. I do not remember if it has an oring.
Mine wasn't leaking so I only replaced the sensor with its oring and the other side.

1637159122288.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles