Gen 3 Montero Tow Hitch

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Not sure who has the best clearance hitch aftermarket, BUT I did score an OEM Mitsubishi hitch from the junkyard, without having to sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.
-After sandblasting, this thing weighs a ton, has 5 bolts per side to mount it. 3 up from bottom, one from inside out into frame, one from outside through frame
WP_20180929_18_06_55_Pro.jpg
sticker from the junkyard
IMG_2016-06-08_20-02-03 (800x450).jpg
For Gen 3 Limited owners, I discovered a trick to get access to that nasty through-frame bolt on the passenger side near the rear Heat/Air unit.
-Four, 10 mm bolts hold the A/C exchanger. Two are visible from the underside near the frame rail. One of the other two is accessed by pushing the body cladding aside a bit and inserting a 1/4" drive socket with extension from underneath. The last is the trick.

Once you get it out, the entire A/C heater box is now mobile/flexible enough to gain reasonable access to the bolts. I only got 1/4 throw on the ratchet, but it's a darn sight better than the open end wrench flip method.
-Remove these 10mm bolts and the access panel from the wheel well.
WP_20180930_20_02_32_Pro.jpg
-Here's the hidden 4th bolt holding the A/C unit in:
WP_20181001_19_47_35_Pro.jpg
-Here's the access to the through frame bolt on both the OEM recovery bar, and the OEM receiver hitch. looking up from the creeper...(top of picture, socket opening facing driver's side of vehicle).
WP_20180930_20_12_32_Pro.jpg
-Here's the A/C box dropped down a bit, after the access panel is removed
WP_20180930_20_13_43_Pro.jpg
After lots of tightening, loosening, re-aligning, re-tightening, re-installing the one washer that stuck to the cardboard while painting, (does that ever happen to anybody else?), finally, installed. "High and tight" like a military haircut. 17" hitch height to inside top of receiver tube, not bad for our Gen 3s.
WP_20180930_22_11_56_Pro.jpg
-side view
WP_20181001_19_54_15_Pro.jpg
-Finished product on the test pull. Sharp-eyed viewers will notice a slight nose dive on the trailer, and the trailer jack is awfully close to the spare tire. No worries, 2" rise, extended shank, (13") ball mount on the way.
WP_20181001_21_44_21_Pro.jpg
It pulls like a dream compared to my E-150 Club Wagon. I took measurements, and when loaded the rear wheel well arch on the Montero only dropped 1.5", the front rose only 0.5". The 5-speed select shift and 4.30 gears is a huge improvement in my situation. Trailer only weights 3000LBS loaded. Next up is wiring my brake controller in.

Doing_Dirt

Not sure who has the best clearance hitch aftermarket, BUT I did score an OEM Mitsubishi hitch from the junkyard, without having to sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.
-After sandblasting, this thing weighs a ton, has 5 bolts per side to mount it. 3 up from bottom, one from inside out into frame, one from outside through frame
View attachment 475878
sticker from the junkyard
View attachment 475879
For Gen 3 Limited owners, I discovered a trick to get access to that nasty through-frame bolt on the passenger side near the rear Heat/Air unit.
-Four, 10 mm bolts hold the A/C exchanger. Two are visible from the underside near the frame rail. One of the other two is accessed by pushing the body cladding aside a bit and inserting a 1/4" drive socket with extension from underneath. The last is the trick.

Once you get it out, the entire A/C heater box is now mobile/flexible enough to gain reasonable access to the bolts. I only got 1/4 throw on the ratchet, but it's a darn sight better than the open end wrench flip method.
-Remove these 10mm bolts and the access panel from the wheel well.
View attachment 475880
-Here's the hidden 4th bolt holding the A/C unit in:
View attachment 475884
-Here's the access to the through frame bolt on both the OEM recovery bar, and the OEM receiver hitch. looking up from the creeper...(top of picture, socket opening facing driver's side of vehicle).
View attachment 475881
-Here's the A/C box dropped down a bit, after the access panel is removed
View attachment 475887
After lots of tightening, loosening, re-aligning, re-tightening, re-installing the one washer that stuck to the cardboard while painting, (does that ever happen to anybody else?), finally, installed. "High and tight" like a military haircut. 17" hitch height to inside top of receiver tube, not bad for our Gen 3s.
View attachment 475888
-side view
View attachment 475890
-Finished product on the test pull. Sharp-eyed viewers will notice a slight nose dive on the trailer, and the trailer jack is awfully close to the spare tire. No worries, 2" rise, extended shank, (13") ball mount on the way.
View attachment 475892
It pulls like a dream compared to my E-150 Club Wagon. I took measurements, and when loaded the rear wheel well arch on the Montero only dropped 1.5", the front rose only 0.5". The 5-speed select shift and 4.30 gears is a huge improvement in my situation. Trailer only weights 3000LBS loaded. Next up is wiring my brake controller in.
Nice write up. I need to visit our wrecking yards soon.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Forgot to add, that I also got the OEM lighting harness with the hitch, that plugs in behind the taillights, and provides a 4-way flat connector. It also has what I think is circuit breaker protection on both lights. Unplug the factory light plug, insert the trailer wiring harness plugs, re-connect and done. I purchased a Curt 7-way socket which included the 4-way adapter on the vehicle side, so it's plug and play lighting, just add ground and brake control wire in my case.

Since I've pretty well run this thread off the rails, here's a picture of my note on my '95 Ford Club Wagon V8 and E4OD trans vs. '02 Montero Limited 3.5L and 5-speed auto for towing. I was having a hard time thinking the V6 would pull as well as the V8, since I was basically giving up 90 ft/lbs of torque switching from van to Montero. At the end of the day, the Montero appears to be able to get it's power to the ground so much more efficiently, it more than compensates for the torque difference. Check out the final gear ratios of the two. That Ford has the Grand Canyon of ratio between 1 and 2 making it difficult to ever be in the right gear on hills. Yes, everything is relative, but the difference is fairly impressive, and up to a point, the Montero is once again proving to be quite capable to the task at hand.
WP_20180917_16_01_41_Pro.jpg

zerogspacecow

This is the curt hitch after I flipped it. Great clearance. Of course the ball is supposed to be up..just a test fit for the receiver.

Hey man, looking to modify my hitch like you did. Do you have a pictures of it after the modification? The one you posted is dead. I want to make sure I get the clearance right. Thanks!

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Hey man, looking to modify my hitch like you did. Do you have a pictures of it after the modification? The one you posted is dead. I want to make sure I get the clearance right. Thanks!

Check out Rambo Penguin's build thread if you haven't already, he has photos of his flipped weld.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier