Gen 3 Montero Tow Hitch

Here are pics of the Mitsubishi OEM hitch.

pZaw

aDDq

earljuic3

Adventurer
This must be a later version than mine, I can post pictures later when I get off work...I have a factory hitch on my 02' but it does not look like that ^

Here is the 4 pin flat connection and another view of the hitch. This was before I added to the brake controller and 7 pin plug.

ls1Y

Here is a better picture of the receptacle that I added with the brake controller - kinda nice to have all of it in one plug.

This is what is mounted flush in the rear panel in my earlier pics.

rcjv

Justice R

Adventurer
This is the curt hitch after I flipped it. Great clearance. Of course the ball is supposed to be up..just a test fit for the receiver.

Last edited:

jhill15

Explorer
Here is the 4 pin flat connection and another view of the hitch. This was before I added to the brake controller and 7 pin plug.

ls1Y

Here is a better picture of the receptacle that I added with the brake controller - kinda nice to have all of it in one plug.

rcjv

That Asfir skid plate is pretty cool.
Yeah I agree! Did you have that imported?

I actually bought it off eBay, a seller from Latvia had a few Asfir made genuine Mitsubishi Europe skid plate parts. Thus was one. But I got the transmission and engine Asfir plates first, from the Asfir dealer in Arizona.

cnutco

Adventurer
I know what you mean about the bolt-on hitch. I like the idea about flipping the crossbar!

114928e342595bab8ecd183ff15e32d9.jpg

71fa6194c27b1ea89bfaad8681313cc4.jpg

I do think mine has saved my bumper a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleT

Explorer
Update this. I got a valley 82620 for my 2006

Not too much hanging down. Install wasn't too bad except one bolt into the frame needs to be thread chased. I had to do quite a bit of tweaking to the hitch to get it lined up. It looked like it lived a rough life in the box it came in. Dropped a few dozen times.

a1d81acdfe2fec8d619549aa69e82456.jpg

a0f4be9bbf5f66b0649397262d5b61a0.jpg
0b60b2169543928817d1bded7c02957c.jpg

I wish the OEM one wasn't so pricey.
Tires are 235's skinny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer

ls1Y

rcjv

Hello 1743371- Can you tell us how you like your shocks and those rear suspension air bags? I would like to do the same.

I think Monstero has a good hitch set up with good departure angle. Very nice.

Montyltd

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to fit the curt hitch and to do so I need to remove the standard tow loop bar that is in place. There are 8 bolts and I have 7 out, there is one that I'm struggling to understand how I get out, it's the one near the rear A/C unit, there's no room to get a socket in there.

Can someone who installed their own hitch shed some light on this please?

2001 Montero LTD.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Uh...well you won't like it, but you'll need an open ended wrench and about a half an hour... It's one of those bolts you move 10 degrees, flip the wrench around and move it 10 degrees, repeat ad nauseum. I installed the curt hitch a few weeks back and it works well once you get that bolt out.

Montyltd

Uh...well you won't like it, but you'll need an open ended wrench and about a half an hour... It's one of those bolts you move 10 degrees, flip the wrench around and move it 10 degrees, repeat ad nauseum. I installed the curt hitch a few weeks back and it works well once you get that bolt out.

Joy! Thanks Geoff!

I'm still a bit confused though but maybe I'm making a wrong assumption. The bolt on the other side is about 4" long, if this one is that long there is nowhere near enough room to slide that out once the nut is off. Maybe it only needs to move enough to pop off the nut and then the whole thing will slide right now?

Also, is there a clever tool that would make this easier? I feel like a lot of my struggles are 1. Learning on the job 2. Not having the right tool (mainly not knowing the tool exists and finding out later that I could have done it in half the time had I known haha!).

I've been looking for this part (the loop hitch thing currently fitted to the Monty) in the fsm and cannot find it, I've no idea what the official name for this thing is, any ideas?

coffeegoat

Adventurer
So when I did it, the bolt stayed in there because I had no desire to pull the rear air conditioning unit that would need to move to remove the bolt. My thought was if I could get access to a welder later to flip the hitch itself (as described in previous posts) I would also add a side flange which utilized that bolt. I like the idea of putting recovery points on the cross tube but without a bit more reinforcement I would worry if the pull wasn't inline with the frame something would break - a nice side gusset and a few more bolts and it would likely be fine.

I'm curious if the way the dealer would do it is to actually pull the entire rear AC system, or if that's something easy to do. I know I had no desire to tear into it in the dark, the night before I needed a functional hitch...

I guess a ratcheting box wrench might simplify things, but I didn't have one either so I made it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94