Gen 3 Montero Tow Hitch

stillman

Observer
When I bought my '02 Montero, I drove it for a couple of weeks then sent it to the shop for new timing belt, valve cover gaskets, tune-up, etc.

We were getting ready for a big trip on a short schedule so I ordered a bunch of truck stuff. Without the benefit of having it here to see how well some of my accessories would work, I made a couple of mistakes. The big one was the Curt tow hitch I ordered from Amazon. After seeing the hitch and truck together I decided not to install since it would protrude below the cargo box and reduce clearance at the bumper to around 9". (My Montero is factory height and will probably stay that way until I wear out my tires.)

Does anyone know of a hitch that would provide better clearance?

jhill15

Explorer
I have a hidden hitch, but its pretty low to the ground as well. I had to flip the ball on receiver so both of my trailers wouldnt ride with the tongue towards the ground.

jhill15

Explorer
I don't think they had an option for a hitch...I could be wrong though. Although every 3rd gen ive seen has had an aftermarket hitch. Maybe someone else could chime in. Here is a pic of mine with the hidden hitch.
2e4162ef1ce7272aebe2d9e5e1e2ef59.jpg

vanroth

Observer
Mine hangs dangerously low as well. At some point I will pull the center bumper trim and see if I can flip the hitch tube and run it through the bumper.

stillman

Observer
Mine hangs dangerously low as well. At some point I will pull the center bumper trim and see if I can flip the hitch tube and run it through the bumper.

The center trim is missing from mine. I accidentally removed it yesterday, with help from whatever bent the tow bar. I think there was a big rock lurking under the mud. Glad it missed all the vital stuff and tore up something I wanted to ditch anyhow.

This experience is what reminded me about the hitch I had purchased. If the hitch had been installed, it would have caught on whatever bent the tow bar and I would have been stuck for sure.

It looks to me like there's room inside the bumper for a hitch. What I'm thinking about is cutting off the receiver and welding one to the top of the crossbar.

Justice R

Adventurer
I bought the curt, and then cut the horizontal bar off and flipped it, inserted some additional smaller square tube re-assembled and re-welded. Then cut a square hole in the plastic bumper for the hitch to plug into. Came out real nice and had good clearance. Too bad the truck got totaled soon after. I think I took some pics I'll have to look.

I specifically bought the factory OEM hitch for the exact reason it tucked up under the rear valance the closest of all the options. Much better than the aftermarket options such as the Curt and Hidden hitch. There is also a factory wiring harness - but it only accommodates a 4 wire plug. I added a brake controller later and had to run additional wires from the controller to the back. I also flush mounted a combination 7 and 4 pin connector - basically the same plug as many OEMs are using now - like Jeep and Ford. I'll post pics later today.

Here is the part number AMR03YHB01 - a google search for images shows at least one photo.

Last edited:

Monstero

Adventurer
Ya...best thing I did was to raise hitch up. ..hated dragging all the time. I just cut and lifted it up. When I built the rear bumper it is all attached to the hitch mounts so that it can be removed if needed easily.
d1cfc259a4db413119d789d341236e59.jpg
195b239e4ea05ece7e90b5bd07ee87c5.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
I specifically bought the factory OEM hitch for the exact reason it tucked up under the rear valance the closest of all the options. Much better than the aftermarket options such as the Curt and Hidden hitch. There is also a factory wiring harness - but it only accommodates a 4 wire plug. I added a brake controller later and had to run additional wires from the controller to the back. I also flush mounted a combination 7 and 4 pin connector - basically the same plug as many OEMs are using now - like Jeep and Ford. I'll post pics later today.

Here is the part number AMR03YHB01 - a google search for images shows at least one photo.
Do you have the factory harness? Also is there a socket somewhere that makes it a plug and play harness, or do you have to tap into brake lights like the aftermarket?

I would love to ditch my aftermarket one if I can get a factory one....granted, as long as there is a socket to just plug it in.

Yes I used the factory harness, but it only provides for the lights (turn, brake, running, etc) no trailer brakes. The factory harness has a "splice" which plugs inline with one of the rear lights (with factory matching plug) (left I think) so no cutting those, but you still have to run a wire to the battery (wire is provided) with the kit. Also it has a clean installing bracket to mount the 4 pin plug on the hitch. Pics to follow, wife just got home with the truck.

Part# for the harness:
AMR03YHX02

Here is a link to the installation manual for the factory hitch.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/ISHEETS/82590.pdf

Last edited:

jhill15

Explorer
Yes I used the factory harness, but it only provides for the lights (turn, brake, running, etc) no trailer brakes. The factory harness has a "splice" which plugs inline with one of the rear lights (with factory matching plug) (left I think) so no cutting those, but you still have to run a wire to the battery (wire is provided) with the kit. Also it has a clean installing bracket to mount the 4 pin plug on the hitch. Pics to follow, wife just got home with the truck.

Part# for the harness:
AMR03YHX02

Here is a link to the installation manual for the factory hitch.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/ISHEETS/82590.pdf
The box looks very similar to the on my harness...although im pretty sure I dont have a lead to my battery. The p.o. added a seven pin/four pin adapter to it which was nice...but ive beat the shmidt out of it off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier