Gen 3 HBB issues

wussman

A couple of weeks ago the ABS/Brake lights and buzzer went off while driving. I had the hard brake pedal and all. After some research I took the electric motor off and checked it. It still had copper on the commutator but was super dirty. I cleaned it up and hooked it up to a battery and it worked. I put it back on the truck but still had the same issue. I switched the relays out with my other Gen 3 Montero and they worked fine. I was able to find the whole assembly from the junk yard and I switched the motor and the accumulator over. Hooked everything back up and the lights and buzzer are still on. Also, the 10amp fuse under the dash for the ABS was still good as well. The truck starts and runs without issues, it just doesn't have any brakes. I don't know what else to check so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

coffeegoat

Adventurer
It sounds like it's trying to turn on and isn't actually activating. Can you plug just the motor into the vehicle harness and see if it's spinning?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
It could be an issue with the brake accumulator assembly. These were a known issue and were replaced under a TSB with a new design. There is some info here and on the Pajero forums about changing the module.

wussman

It could be an issue with the brake accumulator assembly. These were a known issue and were replaced under a TSB with a new design. There is some info here and on the Pajero forums about changing the module.
Yeah, I changed that too. Bled the brakes 4-5 times to see if that would have helped, NOPE.

plh

Explorer
what is your model year? I believe I read somewhere that in order to bleed the ABS you need to use a MUT (dealer most likely). Not sure thou. Have you consulted the FSM about the bleeding procedure?

plh

Explorer
These were a known issue and were replaced under a TSB with a new design.

Very early Gen 3 here in the states. MY '01 and part of MY '02 IIRC. The MY '03 and after have the redesign from the factory. This design (same supplier) of the HBB is relatively common on some Toyotas as well. Even the redesign systems fails at some point. They are electro-mechanical and do not have infinite life.

wussman

what is your model year? I believe I read somewhere that in order to bleed the ABS you need to use a MUT (dealer most likely). Not sure thou. Have you consulted the FSM about the bleeding procedure?
I was only able to do the fronts. Did that to see if the pedal feel would change but it did not. A buddy is bringing a code reader that can ABS codes over to help out. Hopefully it'll read them and I can fix the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles