Gen 3 crankshaft pulley bolt!

Swift_45a

Observer
Ok so the problems are worse than I thought.
6b2f39c973c51aa23164338abdc38542.jpg

Wow, that's actually worse than mine, did it still run ok? The metal from the TIming gear litterly got smooted flat and had run off onto the crank! This is why I've been a Lifer, there are faster and arguably more 'capable' rigs in the off-road World, but you litterly have to try and kill a Pajero-Montero (often from neglect and bad repairs) to get it to actually give up. Mine had a chuck of the inner timing gear broken off from the woodruff key on the crank and it still ran fine as I was out landing all weekend in the Rockies and playing in the mud. A year earlier, when I think I did the most damage to it since I owned it, it was going through 3 feet of snow during the avalanches.

It got me home safely both times, too. The Cybertruck has a lot to live up to, because to be honest I'm never going to own another ICE based truck ever again after having started with a Montero and owning 3 now.

With that said, I'd opt for as much OEM stuff as you can get your hands on, and Rock Auto has anything that may not be available from ASIN. I'd be very gentle with getting that melted metal off the crank as smoothly as possible, that last thing you'd want to have to do is an entire bottom end rebuild/crank replacement or swap if the snout is messed up and won't mate up to the HB snug anymore and causes it to slip/skip messing up the belt tension or worse yet the harmonics.

While the orange thread locker sound interesting, I used Red on everything: The woodruff key, the timing plate cover onto the gear, and the eventually the bolt itself. After having dealt with that repair, and all the delays with Mitsubishi Motors factory in Atlanta ' its all or nothing' for my rig, as she's done a lot at 177k. I just took her out for some light offroading this week camping and she did very well with thermacure (amazing stuff!) in the radiator to flush out any rust before I put normal antifreesze in the late Fall and got around the expected 18 MPG.

Amazon, for all its faults with allowing the sell of so many counterfeit things on there, has an amazing return policy so I'd return the kit and get any bits left out like the timing sensor and woodruff key from the dealer or Rock Auto. The TB itself may have been chewed if that much wobble occurred in such a short time, mine was way less than your's and it snapped the peg/dowel off the crank gear and chewed the edges of the belt pretty badly so I'd buy one before I got started and return it if you don't end up using it.

This is the set I picked up:

That looks like not such a big deal at first, until the little pins in the back won't align correctly and slip off after you get it all running and make a loud rattle. I bought what was an out of box 'OEM' one from Ebay because it was 2-3 days shipped to me only to have to return it after the OEM blade kept slipping off and the little pins in the back bent and one eventually even fell off. I put it back on and sent it back and went straight to the dealer and paid $100 for a real one and waited nearly a week for it. But it fit snug, requiring only a little dab of Locktite to keep it in place while re-installing.

Keep us posted as I think these issues need to be well documented, as its so common, to keep these rigs on the road which is why i went into such great detail with pics and links in the one I essentialy hijacked.

Last edited:

Epyx1977

Guess who’s back, back again....

Finally all buttoned up and back in business!
7704a5e2cc5a87ece4c3cb2c8e15b170.jpg

Ended up replacing all of this:
Timing belt
Crank position sensor
Crankshaft gear (full kit with key and blade)
Serpentine belt, tensioner
Crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer)
Pulley bolt and washer
Lower timing cover

So happy she survived the experience as it could have been worse had the crankshaft been damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles