Gen 3, 3.8L - actual engine temp?

nckwltn

Explorer
After what I think was a failed fan clutch, which lead to a minor over-heat, which lead to a water pump gasket failure (followed by me forgetting to put the radiator cap back on and emptying out all of my coolant again) I've got my 03 back on the road.... And yes, it is possible to change the water pump without removing or resetting the timing belt.

I've got my Ultragauge plugged in and am closely monitoring engine temps, right now going down the freeway I'm hovering right around 210.. in my 99, I usually hover right around 200.

Was wondering what actual engine temp numbers other 3.8L owners are seeing and 3.5L owners too.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
190-195 with AC running and 110 degree outside temprature. I've seen mine go up to 200 on long steep hauls uphill with AC running and about 105 outside temp. I had it get to 218 at idle in park with AC on and 110 degrees out side. The scary part is that the stock gauge barely registered above the halfway mark.

nckwltn

Explorer
190-195 with AC running and 110 degree outside temprature. I've seen mine go up to 200 on long steep hauls uphill with AC running and about 105 outside temp. I had it get to 218 at idle in park with AC on and 110 degrees out side. The scary part is that the stock gauge barely registered above the halfway mark.
Gen 3 or 2.5?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Sorry, Gen 3 2005 3.8 and the temps are read from a Scangauge but for what it's worth my Gen 2.5 runs about the same based on the fact that it has a 195 degree thermostatic switch running my A/C fan although I have not run it with the Scangauge yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94