Gen 3... 265 vs 285. Help me decide

2to4wheels

Adventurer
First off...I've searched, I've researched, I've ready FB groups so take it easy on me for starting this discussion.

Here's my scenario and really want to get some honest feedback. '06 Gen 3 and I need new tires and am probably going to lift as well.

My decisions points are obviously what size tires and which lift. My gut tells me 265/70 is the way to go because this is a daily driver and a weekend overland vehicle. I know more and more of you are running 285s but might not be for me. But I don't want the lift to dwarf the tires. Is the Lovell's regular height lift 1.5" or 2"?

I guess, what i'm asking is, can someone show me some pictures with a lift and 265s? And would I best be served with the OME MD springs adding 1.5" lift?

I know this is confusing, I know what i'm trying to say but not sure how to best articulate it. Bottom line is I think I want 265s but don't want it to look stupid. I'll add that I do plan on getting lower offset wheels which would help the stance...maybe looking at downsizing to 16s. Really digging the Discount Tire Direct exclusive https://www.discounttire.com/featured/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at which gets great reviews on Tacoma forums. the 265/75/16 is only 42 lbs too in an SL

ChrisCosta416

I believe you already posted on Facebook

If you get raised coils which give you 1.5inches of lift I would recommend 265/75/16 size tires. Check out my Gen3 suspension sheet. You can also check my build thread for how much truck looked when I had OME coils and shocks

2to4wheels

Adventurer
I believe you already posted on Facebook

If you get raised coils which give you 1.5inches of lift I would recommend 265/75/16 size tires. Check out my Gen3 suspension sheet. You can also check my build thread for how much truck looked when I had OME coils and shocks

I did post there as well. Just trying to get feedback since I've got to make decisions. I really do like how yours sits. I've studied the suspension sheet and it doesn't give a height for the Lovells so I can't tell which give 1.5" vs 2" vs whatever. Anyone you know running the OME springs with Billsteins?

ChrisCosta416

I did post there as well. Just trying to get feedback since I've got to make decisions. I really do like how yours sits. I've studied the suspension sheet and it doesn't give a height for the Lovells so I can't tell which give 1.5" vs 2" vs whatever. Anyone you know running the OME springs with Billsteins?

Lovells has a standard option and raised option. All coils will only net 1.5 inches of lift I believe unless you go HD. Many people on FB run Bilsteins with OME coils. I recommend Koni HEavy Track shocks with Lovells or OME coils.

MrGideon

I just got 265/75/r16 on mine and I can tell you there is a difference in gearing already. I can only imagine what it's like to go to 285/75 without regearing. I went with the same logic as you that it will be for long haul drives and daily driving more than anything. The 32ish inch tires look good too. There is a thread on here right now called "so you want to put king shocks on your montero" his lift looks roughly 2 inches and he's running 265/75/r16 and I think it doesnt look bad at all.

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Lovells has a standard option and raised option. All coils will only net 1.5 inches of lift I believe unless you go HD. Many people on FB run Bilsteins with OME coils. I recommend Koni HEavy Track shocks with Lovells or OME coils.

can you expound on why you recommend the Koni shocks? I'll probably end up with OME just because they are easier to grab here in the states.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
X2 with MrGideon

Nevermind the lift and fitment, that's easy and tons of options. Let's be real, If you're not going to regear you probably don't need bigger tires. Bigger tires are the most expensive mod possible considering how much it changes everything. It's worth noting that bigger tires can hurt off-road performance, tires in this thread are not the extreme but these posts always seem to sidestep the realities of tire "upgrades".

MoabRefugee

Observer
265/75R16 is plenty IMO. IMO 4.9‘s are a must for 33‘s and anything 33 will be HEAVY, unless avail in something other than Load E.

Do you want looks, or sufficient capability, better mileage, and another $1000 in your pocket(33‘s Addtl cost, gears, lift)

I am going to stick with 32‘s, and add a lift and some protection, but frankly, the $$ for a 33 upgrade is better spent on fuel or mechanicals, and I live in Moab, so I could easily justify 33’s.

plh

Explorer
265/75R16 is plenty IMO. IMO 4.9‘s are a must for 33‘s and anything 33 will be HEAVY, unless avail in something other than Load E.

Do you want looks, or sufficient capability, better mileage, and another $1000 in your pocket(33‘s Addtl cost, gears, lift)

I am going to stick with 32‘s, and add a lift and some protection, but frankly, the $$ for a 33 upgrade is better spent on fuel or mechanicals, and I live in Moab, so I could easily justify 33’s.

After running both 285/75R16 and 265/75R17 on mine, I agree that the 265 are the best size for a Gen 3. Once my 285s wear out, I'll go back to 265s.

offthepath

Adventurer
I don't know, if you can afford to regear, I really like 255s on my Gen 3 with 4.9 gears. I had 31.5 tires before and the added height really helps wheeling, at least for what I've been doing with mine. The departure angle and break over angle increases are very noticeable.

It also looks ************.

If you are not regearing don't bother though. It would be a gutless pig with 33s.

Hell if you regear, add some lockers and the capability of the truck will increase 200%!!!! Lockers with 255s have made the gen3 work so well off road its amazing. With the lack of flex and departure angle these two tings are key on our rigs.20190320_191149.jpg

plh

Explorer
I don't know, if you can afford to regear, I really like 255s on my Gen 3 with 4.9 gears. I had 31.5 tires before and the added height really helps wheeling, at least for what I've been doing with mine. The departure angle and break over angle increases are very noticeable.

It also looks ************.

If you are not regearing don't bother though. It would be a gutless pig with 33s.

Hell if you regear, add some lockers and the capability of the truck will increase 200%!!!! Lockers with 255s have made the gen3 work so well off road its amazing. With the lack of flex and departure angle these two tings are key on our rigs.View attachment 534146

255 by what?

2to4wheels

Adventurer
well...i went 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain SL on 16x8 Method 701 0mm backspace. I actually am rubbing a bit...no lift.

Attachments

• 20190912_134314.jpg
    20190912_134314.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 20190912_134328.jpg
    20190912_134328.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

plh

Explorer
well...i went 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain SL on 16x8 Method 701 0mm backspace. I actually am rubbing a bit...no lift.

saggy old springs... But that wheel offset looks outboard more than stock. I never rubbed on my stock springs and stock wheels 265/75R17 back a few years ago (maybe 7?) when I was running that size on the '05

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior