Gen 3, 2003 Hydraulic Brake Booster HBB - Failure and Fix!

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Glad to hear it worked, that was the reference I used as well. Repost if you end up getting a random "Anti-lock" light, I've been waiting to get mine sorted out before I do my write up, since apparently I did something wrong....

BOPOH

Explorer
That's great! Any tips or hick-ups you encountered while doing this that were not mentioned before?

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
That Pajero owners link pretty much covers most of everything. Removing the installing the HBB is very easy and straight forward.

Hardest part is bleeding the system. I guess if you have the MUT tool...it will bleed out the system for you much much easier.

datsun72

Bringing this up from the dead. We recently sold our 01 to our Mitsu tech. About 2 years before we had to replace the hydraulic brake booster, I pulled this out and sold him the truck, granted he was not happy but he got the truck for a steal! Now I want to store the booster properly, what would be the best way to do this? Should I drain all the brake fluid? Is their a storage "mode" you need to put the booster in? My current booster on my '02 is fine so I won't be swapping it out.

Thanks for your help!

PacS14

Adventurer
No one ever reverse engineered a vacuum break booster in it's place? I mean now that these are getting up in the years I would at least try if I owned one.

jayr1122

Does anyone know what the parts compatibility is between the 01-02 and the 03-06? I want to swap the whole system from an 02 to an 06. I am thinking about buying a new motor along with this for peace of mind.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Does anyone know what the parts compatibility is between the 01-02 and the 03-06? I want to swap the whole system from an 02 to an 06. I am thinking about buying a new motor along with this for peace of mind.

The accumulator is different, but the pump is the same.

jayr1122

Has anyone ever heard of the hbb computer dying? I'm throwing code 53 and 57. My mechanic is telling me the computer is dead, the motor is dead, the master cylinder is dead, and the accumulator is dead.

jayr1122

Heavy pedal pressure, abs alarm. I was able to get it going a few times by smacking it, but now the motor won't run.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Heavy pedal pressure, abs alarm. I was able to get it going a few times by smacking it, but now the motor won't run.
Here's a good overview of the issue for an '02 Model:
HBB failure

If you determine it is just the pump (possible - "smacking it" makes it run), then Mitsubishi now sells it separate form the entire assembly. The accumulator also can fail, but it usually emits a high pitched whine. Yours holding boost for a little while indicates the accumulator did its job after system went down until the pedal cycles emptied the accumulator's stored charge.
Booster Pump

taybrynn

My HBB accumulator went out and replacing it was simple ... and its worked great for 1-2 years now.

The other day my ABS light ... and all other lights came on, nonstop beep (should be the PULL OVER AND PARK warning). This happened a block from the the tire shop I was going to. I had enough pressure to brake a couple times and park it.

After the tires were put on, I had no brakes to speak of, hard pedal. Checked things out and decide to slowly drive up hill and attempt to use parking brake to stop ... which worked at slow speeds. All this while beep continues nonstop. Finally I got towards the top of the hill and started to brake and noticed a had brakes again! About 100 years later, all lights went off ... and have stayed off.

Of course now the wife won't drive the car for obviously reasons.

Would you advise I take this to my trusted shop for repairs?

I noticed that the pump unit has writing on it, so I suspect its already got a salvaged replacement pump on it.

The big difference with this failure was that when I just had an accumulator issue, the sound was distinct ... whining and kind of a sputtering sound also. This time, totally quiet, just the ABS lights and ALL OTHER LIGHTS and nonstop beep. Terrifying actually, esp. for my wife.

I've also got a problem with the stability control coming on and going off ... randomly, not sure why but I just ignore it.

I was wondering if the abs speed sensor wires could be having a problem, or if it could be a random electrical problem.

Very scary problem to have and definitely makes me question the safety of these otherwise great beasts.

plh

Explorer
Well that is no good. FWIW - Toyota has the same Aisin system as the Gen 3 and similar issues in old age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles