Gen 2 rear Locker ECU part number or pic of location?

MontyG

Hi all. I have a 95 Montero LS. I got lucky and found a gem at local junk yard, a 94 SR. I got the 3rd member, left axle shaft, r/d button, and compressor, but for the life of me I could not find the rear locker ECU. From what I've read it is in the left rear quarter panel. I removed the huge trim panel and dug around but no luck.

I'm hoping someone can give me a part number, or better yet a picture or good description of where I can find this thing. Thank you in advance!

MontyG

Google may have answered the part number question for me: MR276183? Not sure if that is the ECU I'm looking for but if so I do recall seeing that part while digging around. Hopefully the car isn't crushed before I can make it back!

If someone can confirm it would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Tonygon

Google may have answered the part number question for me: MR276183? Not sure if that is the ECU I'm looking for but if so I do recall seeing that part while digging around. Hopefully the car isn't crushed before I can make it back!

If someone can confirm it would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Yes.. its behind the rear drivers side panel. Unfortunately, that 3rd member wont bolt up to your LS housing...

MontyG

ARDOR

3.0 6G72 = 9" rear end

3.5 6G74 = 9.5" rear end

The '94 SR should have a 3.5 6G74 while your '95 LS should have a 3.0 6G72. You could swap the entire rear axle, but can't transplant a 9.5" third member into a 9" rear axle housing.

Tonygon

Hopefully you can still go get the housing and install everything you removed.. Hopefully you didnt cut stuff off like brake lines and parking brake cables. To add to na3s' correct info on diff sizes, the smaller third member thats currently on your truck bolts on with 10 nuts/bolts, while the bigger 9.5" rear end third member mounts with 12.

MontyG

Dang I should've gotten the whole axle then! Nope, too late, car is crushed now :(

Thanks for the info, guys! SO glad to get the help before I started taking things apart on my car! There will be some parts for sale if anyone needs rear locker parts ;)

ARDOR

If you have the locking 3rd member w/the associated bits and it's the gearing you need, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a rear axle to swap it into. Fairly certain even a Sport rear axle housing would swap so long as it came behind a 3.5.

Last edited:

JamesW

Adventurer
You can operate the air compressor for the locker totally independently, it just needs 12v across it. I've mine wired to a switch on the dash, allows it to work in 2wd and 4h as well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior