Gen 2 LS gear ratios, motor and other questions

scrubber3

Not really here
94-96 would be the DOHC 3.0L in the LS. There's probably a unicorn, but most that I've seen in my search had the 4.875 axle ratio. Would make sense since the more powerful 3.5L DOHC got the 4.63.

The LS has a 3.0 SOHC which is the only option for the 2nd gen LS. The LS also has the same gears as the SR in nearly all cases. 4.62---.

I have an LS that I've done front and rear diff swaps with an SR. I've done much work to my rig. See my build thread.

mudraider

Adventurer
So to answer your question accurately, the highest percentage of 94 LS models came with the 4.62 gearing, and the 3.0 SOHC. The DOHC was in the SR models. I always wondered how misinformation came out, now I understand.

sent from my pretty good Android phone

mapper

Explorer
So to answer your question accurately, the highest percentage of 94 LS models came with the 4.62 gearing, and the 3.0 SOHC. The DOHC was in the SR models. I always wondered how misinformation came out, now I understand.

sent from my pretty good Android phone

Whew! That was a trip. 3.0 sohc and 4.62 gears. Ultimately it seems a gen 2.5 winter would not make an ideal parts donor (engine and axles) for an ls, unless it was a 97.

Thanks, this definitely helps.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Whew! That was a trip. 3.0 sohc and 4.62 gears. Ultimately it seems a gen 2.5 winter would not make an ideal parts donor (engine and axles) for an ls, unless it was a 97.

Thanks, this definitely helps.

It would be a perfect donor for an early LS, your 98 has stronger axles and the locker plus more hp.

mapper

Explorer
It would be a perfect donor for an early LS, your 98 has stronger axles and the locker plus more hp.

I've been lazy (actually a seemingly unfortunate side affect of the Montero accident) and was thinking of small potatoes peripheral parts swaps rather than vital organ transplants...but your point is dully noted.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've been lazy (actually a seemingly unfortunate side affect of the Montero accident) and was thinking of small potatoes peripheral parts swaps rather than vital organ transplants...but your point is dully noted.

This crappy air is certainly not helping anyone's motivation either, aside from a slight chance of rain for Sunday there seems no end to it for another week.

SD_Montero

Observer
Older LS models will have the 3.0, I believe all with the 4.88 gearing. You can confirm the gearing and engine with the placard in the engine bay.

I havea 96 LS, been trying to figure out what gearing it has, what on the placard would tell me what gearing it has? I dont see anything pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

4wd26

Cannot remember the proper text
But I think it "axle trans" and should have numbers like 4.63 or 4.88
The numbers are the diff ratio for the vehicle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nckwltn

Explorer
I havea 96 LS, been trying to figure out what gearing it has, what on the placard would tell me what gearing it has? I dont see anything pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!
Should be 4.63 gears. But because is LS and not SR has smaller diameter gears.... At least in the front, probably rear too... So I don't think you can just swap with SR. But you should be a LR to pull the front axle housing and axles from an SR.

But best to check the sticker on the front and rear diff housings

I think the FSM for the gen 2 also has a page on the ratios and gear sizes. I might have posted a photo of the relevant section in 2014 when I swapped my gen 2.5 gears with gen 2 SR.... Moved me from 4.29 to 4.63

SD_Montero

Observer
Thanks for your help, looks like they are 4.636 gears. No problem running 31"s then? And is there a straight forward LSD I could install in this? Thx

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

brad2274

Adventurer
Thanks for your help, looks like they are 4.636 gears. No problem running 31"s then? And is there a straight forward LSD I could install in this? Thx

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

also curious on lsd, i want a rear locker but SR axles are hard to get in florida, id be fine ordering just the locker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94