Gen 2.5 steering wheel options

Cosmos99

So I have the dreaded horn sticking in cold weather in my 98....I can either repair it but the wheel itself has seen better days after 217k miles. Anyone know if a Gen 3 airbag wheel is a direct swap, airbag and all? I could also go the aftermarket route but don't know how to wire out the airbag light like I did in old VW's, BMW's and Porsches. Anyone have suggestions or already pioneered this?

kalieracer

Observer
Replace the foam to fix the horn. You can get the wheel recovered. Gen 3 uses a more advanced airbag and but is also prone to the foam breaking down and setting off the horn. The foam is not replaceable in the gen3 from what I have been told

So I have the dreaded horn sticking in cold weather in my 98....I can either repair it but the wheel itself has seen better days after 217k miles. Anyone know if a Gen 3 airbag wheel is a direct swap, airbag and all? I could also go the aftermarket route but don't know how to wire out the airbag light like I did in old VW's, BMW's and Porsches. Anyone have suggestions or already pioneered this?

Cosmos99

Replace the foam to fix the horn. You can get the wheel recovered. Gen 3 uses a more advanced airbag and but is also prone to the foam breaking down and setting off the horn. The foam is not replaceable in the gen3 from what I have been told

Thanks for the info!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Late Montero Sport low model steering wheel is a nice one, no leather wrap so they feel really good. They don't look any different

evomaki

Observer
As Toasty said, I would 100% go with a low spec Montero Sport vinyl wheel, or whatever it is, non leather anyhow. That kind of wheel is just better, certainly for what we use these vehicles. About a year or so ago I sent my wheel off to be recovered. That was a pretty smooth process and the company did a nice job. I vaguely remember there were two who advertised on the net and both based in Dallas, as I remember. Anyhow, the outfit I used was in Dallas. They turn it around fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94