Gen 2.5 Overlanding Dog Limo

ahddm

Hey guys,

My name is David I got my Gen2.5 Montero about a year ago from auction with 190k Miles for 2k with some body damage I am located near Los Angeles, been doing small maintenance things here and there but I have figured it is time to dive head first into it now. I use it to drive my dogs around whenever the chance comes up to actually take them out.

No major offroading planned looking to keep drivability and increase performacne and reliability, pretty much no lift kit or crazy gearing. If you guys think there is a needed maintenance I haven't listed that I should do please let me know.

I will post more pictures soon.

Done:
Oil Change
Timing Belt service w/ Water Pump
New Radiator
New Heater Core
New Tires (BFGoodrich KO2 33x10.5)
Tailgate handle
Aftermarket door lock remote
Pioneer Radio w/ Bluetooth

Planned:
Need new CV Axles
Headlight restoration and LED bulb change
Roof Rack
New Springs (OME Springs + ????)
New Bumper
Fix dented fender
3D Print missing covers for various holes on dash
Find new tailgate door cover

Possible:
4.9 Gearing
New Interior seat covers

Unknown issues:
Rubber smell after driving, but no problems
When putting into 2wd lights just blink forever, have tried reversing to release load.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Lol, you’ve already done the timing belt and NOW you want to start digging into it?

ahddm

What radiator did you replace OEM with ?
Not sure honestly had a mechanic do it for me for me when I was overheating away from home.

Saw him checking RockAuto so probably the economy one listed there, looks similar in color too.

ahddm

Is there a way to reach the driver's side headlamp bulb without removing the headlight or coolant reservoir?

Here are some more pictures I just took.

ahddm

you just lift it straight up - comes out with no fasteners. If yours is all cracked and sun-damaged, a new one is pretty cheap too.
Came out much quicker and easier that I assumed it would, thanks! I installed BeamTech led bulbs, much brighter but need to get them aimed better.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Since you got 33's you should out 4.90's up on the priority list. That'll make it about perfect for driving, nice truck and welcome.

ahddm

Since you got 33's you should out 4.90's up on the priority list. That'll make it about perfect for driving, nice truck and welcome.
Yea I have been thinking about that, I can definitely feel the car slogging up the mountain passes. Wish there was a reasonable shop around LA not sure how comfortable I am doing it myself. I do not mind tearing the top end off a motor but gears scare me lol.

ahddm

Don't mistake "standing outside the truck and looking back at it" brighter for "see farther down the road" brighter. You drive from inside the cab and you can't aim scatter.
Nah defintely brighter I live pretty rural with no street lights around for miles so it was immediately obvious once I started driving, before hand I could not see more than a few feet ahead, high beams or low. Scatter isn't too bad not crisp like I would like it but that might be fixed with a headlight conversion down the line. Right headlight is noticeably pointed up though which is what I will need to get aimed down.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
One of the deciding factors when we bought our first Montero were the rear sliding windows for the dogs, there are some write-ups online on how to make some generic bug screens if you ever need to make some. As for the headlights, a properly aimed set of Philips/Osram bulbs work very well in the original housings without scatter or blinding others.

ahddm

I wrote a guide for this on another forum, unfortunately it requires login to see nowadays - but it might help you with the 4wd system.
I will check that out I am a member there already luckily thanks! I will check the head light level as well, if it turns out to be that I will drop in the old bulbs again so I don't blind anyone.

ahddm

Sorry for the long absence had a hell of second half to the year.

Thanks to your guide Shovel I was able to fix the flashing lights for the most part it comes back occasionally after filling up a full tank of gas, but luckily if I change from 4wd to 2wd or vice-versa it goes back to normal.

After that I noticed some white smoke so while I was driving down to town to get it looked at the engine died and ended being cracked heads. Ended up just paying for a full engine rebuild.

Few months later in October my big white dog Elliot died from a flipped stomach, and my big grey one tore her ACL which needed surgery. Too say I am tapped out is an understatement.

I will be working on the Montero again but at a slower pace. My current project is figuring out how the rear seat goes back in. I removed it months ago to make space for the dogs that is not really needed anymore. If anyone has pictures that would be great I just can't figure out where the long metal rod underneath the seat goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles