Gen 2.5 grinding noise, HELP

That's the dust shield, you might be able to push it back in place without disconnecting anything otherwise yes the driveshaft needs to be removed to remove it.
Any idea how much force is needed and if I'd damage anything behind it trying to gently hammer it back in place? I don't know how it sat before it came loose so I don't know how far back to get it to go.

You Mitsubishi guys please correct me but those shields are usually protecting slip yokes in my experience. So while not absolutely critical they do serve an actual protective function.

If it's similar to Toyotas (who uses these on 2WD transmissions) you could unbolt the driveshaft and pull the slip yoke apart to get at it. If that's the case be very careful to mark the clocking so you reassemble the slip yoke the same way and that splines mate the same. Also it's likely some gear oil will dribble out.
Yeah we recently had to do a similar procedure on our Tahoe so I'm at least a little comfortable doing that much. Shouldn't be hard but if I can avoid it by just getting the piece to seat where it was, I will.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Clean it if possible and put a couple dabs of RTV on it to keep it from vibrating loose again and just tap it back until it's seated. If you want you can absolutely remove the drive shaft, the slip yoke just pulls out and a little gear oil will come with it (park nose downhill if possible).

Alrighty, so... Had to take the driveshaft off. Easy enough, other than breaking the bolts free by hand since I don't have power tools.
This dust cover(?) was just floating there. I have no idea how it sat before coming loose as there's nothing obvious that used to hold it in place. The surface behind it had no groove where it could sit, and I couldn't tell if any bare metal was from something else missing or just the fact this piece rattled on a spinning shaft for at least 30 mins at 75mph, if not longer. There's a thin ring the color of silicone, but it smeared like a grease when I touched it, rather than have any rubbery texture. You can see it in the picture; it's almost black, with a smudge where I touched it.
I reassembled it without the cover- the rust tells me it didn't do a whole lot, anyway, other than keep chunks of larger debris out. Drove it to run errands around town and she's noise-free so far, though I haven't gone over 50mph yet.

So, is it fine to leave this piece off? Should I silicone it back in place? Do I need high-temp silicone? Never messed with this area of the truck before so I just want to make sure I'm addressing it correctly.
Also, an added picture as a reminder to not rely on cheap sockets. Thankfully I have a plethora of metric sockets ?

Attachments

• 0619201905a.jpg
    0619201905a.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 12
  • 0619201926.jpg
    0619201926.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 0619201926a.jpg
    0619201926a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 0619201930.jpg
    0619201930.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 0619201931b.jpg
    0619201931b.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I always make every effort to keep everything as it was from the factory. I’d keep it. It’s there for a reason.

I always make every effort to keep everything as it was from the factory. I’d keep it. It’s there for a reason.
I do, too, which is why I'm also asking how to put it back. It's not obvious how it used to sit, so I don't know how to reinstall it.
If I silicone the outer rim, that will literally be the only thing holding it in place, which would seem odd to me, but that could be it. I don't know.

RyanY

Adventurer
I haven't messed with that part myself but Toasty commented above that you should be able to just tap it back into place with a few dabs of RTV to keep it there, so it must be a friction fit of some sort. I guessing that Toasty has as much or more experience with Montero drivetrain parts than just about anyone else on this forum, so I'd be inclined to trust his advice.

Sorry for my delayed reply; life took over for a bit.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to explain: it won't seat where it was. It just floats there. There's nothing to tap it into. The piece behind it is a solid, primarily-flat piece of metal with no grooves or indentations to fit the piece I removed. So if I silicone the rim of that piece, that will be the only thing keeping it in place. There's nothing else to support it, unless there's something else that used to be there that fell off. I don't know. I have no intact examples to look at, unless someone sends pictures of theirs.

PacS14

Adventurer
I'm not at home or I would take a look, but to me it looks like it was a one piece, as in welded on or something. Push comes to worse you could use JB weld like 4 dabs of it, which would require you to clean the area really well, or welded on.

Clean it if possible and put a couple dabs of RTV on it to keep it from vibrating loose again and just tap it back until it's seated. If you want you can absolutely remove the drive shaft, the slip yoke just pulls out and a little gear oil will come with it (park nose downhill if possible).
Toasty, any tips on reinstalling this thing? Do you have any images of this piece in place so I can see if there's another component I'm missing? I'm currently running without it but if it's best to keep it, I'll gladly reinstall it. Just need to see how. Please see a few comments ago where I described how it doesn't seat where it was.

PaydayGabe

Morning Donna ,

Out of curiosity I just slid under my MS for a peek.
My T-case has that shield,, although different shape (coffee can, versus bowl shape) than yours.
There are no mounting points,,, so I believe it is pressed on.
Obviously this thing was designed to protect the U-joint from debris during water/mud crossings.
My parts diagram states the item is a "dust shield".
Hope that helps a bit.
Your driving needs will dictate your need to replace the shield. Good luck,, G.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Morning Donna ,

Out of curiosity I just slid under my MS for a peek.
My T-case has that shield,, although different shape (coffee can, versus bowl shape) than yours.
There are no mounting points,,, so I believe it is pressed on.
Obviously this thing was designed to protect the U-joint from debris during water/mud crossings.
My parts diagram states the item is a "dust shield".
Hope that helps a bit.
Your driving needs will dictate your need to replace the shield. Good luck,, G.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Is this coffee can sealed by something? Mine has that coffee can look too, and this piece was within that "can", for lack of a better way to describe it.
And while I don't do much offroad driving since leaving the West, I still like knowing things are protected, for peace of mind. Though, as previously stated, there's some surface rust where this dust shield was, so my guess is it mainly protected from larger debris as it obviously wasn't a super tight seal.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Clean rust and oil off everything, go around tap the edges with a hammer and tap them pretty good so they’ll bite better when you press it back on. Throw on a layer of RTV silicone, tap it back in place and call it good. At least you won’t lose it if it falls off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles