Gen 2.5 from AZ to NC

snare

Adventurer
On Saturday I flew to AZ and bought a 98 and have been driving it back to NC.

Currently in Austin for a couple days.

Loving it so far. It needs the front end tightened up and front cam seals.

snare

Adventurer
98 winter package. No rust. Well maintained and documented.

Going to be doing the front cam seals and freshening up the front end when I get back to NC. Looking in to the Adventure Driven Design idler arm upgrade products too.

Two tanks full of fuel so far has me getting 21 mpg, then 23 mpg.

snare

Adventurer
Also, the tcase doesn't go into 4Llc easily. Going to look into that too...possibly the bushing.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Had I known you were in town I would have tried to get together, where about did you find the truck?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
How many miles on it?

First Montero?

TC lever bushing is a good bet. My '99's bushing was non-existent, just totally disintegrated.

snare

Adventurer
Found it in Tucson.

Over 200k and yes, first Montero.

Looking forward to baselining it when I get to NC.

Is a new tcase shifter bushing available or are they sourced from salvage yards ?

Last edited:

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Yep - new bushing is less than $10 - part number MB580253.

It's not a terrible job, but you will need to get the pin holding the TC lever together pushed out with an actual press, at a machine shop or maybe an independent auto service place (that's where I had it done for $5). Put the bushing into place, then have them press the pin right back in.

Also, you can buy a used TC lever from an older Montero, like prior to 1997 - they had a teflon-type material bushing that apparently didn't disintegrate. That's easier, of course, but maybe more $$$.

There are a couple good threads here on this forum about the job. Once it's done, it's much better. My TC lever was super loose and vague without a good bushing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles