Gen 2.5 fabricating transmission skid

bikerjosh

Explorer
Wondering if the tabs that the engine skid plate mounts to at the rear of the plate are strong to mount a skid to, or should I incorporate a lip to go forward using the cross member for additional strength and use the tabs to keep it in place? The pattern I laid out would bridge the space between the OEM engine and transfer case skids.
Not sure what thickness steal I'm going with, but it will have three unbroken lengths of angle iron to increase rigidity.
Opinions, ideas? :coffee:
thanks

nckwltn

Explorer
I like the idea of a lip going over the cross member to actually carry the weight of the vehicle coming down on something. If you had all of the weight the places where the existing shields bolt to, that would be your weak point. You would then be using the existing mount points to just mount the shield to the vehicle, but weight carrying would go into the cross member.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'm not sure that you need to worry about this. Mitsubishi have already proved that these things are built very strongly...why would the OEM skid mounts be different?

Having said that, I did add additional mounts for my homemade armor, mainly because I'm a self-taught metalwork guy and it was a fun practice project.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Thanks for the advice. I lengthened front of skid to cover part of cross member for additional strength. Cut down the number of angle iron re-enforcements to three running lengthwise; 5 really put them too close together and likely not needed if base material is 3/16" steel. I'll post pics once we get them cut and welded. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles