Gen 2.5 3.8 Swap

Atrais

Adventurer
Jeff:

Thanks for the explanation! For some reason I thought the comp inlet was facing the front of the engine. Them facing backwards is rather annoying, even if you replaced the flanges with v-bands I have a bad feeling the compressor inlet would be right up against the firewall (though if you get a chance I'd be interested in pictures to see what sits where). Then you'd have to remake all the factory lines. Bleh.

I've seen the RPW kit to throw the TRD supercharger on. It's too much money, it's an m62 (a bit undersized for the 3.5) and it's non-intercooled. The belt on it is also only a 6-rib. If I were going to throw a roots blower on I'd use something at least the size of the 3800 stuff (m90) or better yet one of the ford blowers off of a gt500 (m122 I believe).

Jeff V.

Observer
It's running well enough to drive, but not great. We're still working on getting the tune dialed in, and finding a solution to the MIVEC.

ChargerX3

Observer
I really haven't updated Jeff or any of you yet. The truck runs...great! I haven't tied in Mivec yet but she is a lot of fun to drive.

ChargerX3

Observer
I did. All works well now. Just need to clean up the engine bay wiring and put it back to stock look. Truck is a blast to drive. Plenty of power and I still haven't tuned it all the way yet. Really need to get my hands on a 03+ Full size monti intake manifold. Let me know if you know of anyone is selling.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/hSjpa22Gj20

Atrais

Adventurer
Awesome! The price on those Eclipse engines vs a higher mileage Montero engine makes them really appealing. Is there any reason you didn't you a gen 2.5 Montero ECU? I believe they're flashable as well no?

ChargerX3

Observer
You can usually find them at a good price. I paid less than 1k pulled already. I also have a 2.5 gen ecu that I used to start the truck. Problem is that monteros don't have knock sensors populated on the ecu. The 3000gt Sl does.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Nicely done!

Am i right in ASSuming that the minimum effort way of doing this in my Gen2.5 would be to just dump in a non-MIVEC 6g75, and then bribe one of you guys to flash my ecu with some conservative maps, then spend some time with some det cans to make sure it's not knocking? Or would the 3000GT SL ecu be a PNP affair?

ChargerX3

Observer
Nicely done!

Am i right in ASSuming that the minimum effort way of doing this in my Gen2.5 would be to just dump in a non-MIVEC 6g75, and then bribe one of you guys to flash my ecu with some conservative maps, then spend some time with some det cans to make sure it's not knocking? Or would the 3000GT SL ecu be a PNP affair?

You are assuming quite a bit. Motor mounts will need some work and possible welding. Accessories will need some modifications. Likely quite a few other odds and ends pertinent to your montero. You could plug in the SL ecu but the other problem you have is that you wiring harness lacks the proper shielded wire going to the knock sensor. Would have to wire that in. Other than that a 98-99 montero or montero sport would be the best donor vehicle for a MIVEC swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94