Gen 1 Tundra Rear Suspension Questions

I agree that 2.5s are ideal, but what shock, and how best does one analyze how well it will complement what is on the front?
I run Kings on the front, and am hoping to find something that compliments this without going full on custom. But, looks like that may be the way I have to go....

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I agree that 2.5s are ideal, but what shock, and how best does one analyze how well it will complement what is on the front?
I run Kings on the front, and am hoping to find something that compliments this without going full on custom. But, looks like that may be the way I have to go....
Frankly i think your over thinking it. a solid 2.0 for what you do would work just fine, a 2.5 will work better. The neat thing about pretty much any qaulity 2.5 or 2.0 shock from king, icon, fox, ads, or the like, is that they are all Valveable and rebuildable...and you can change them to how you them to ride.

Frankly i think your over thinking it. a solid 2.0 for what you do would work just fine, a 2.5 will work better. The neat thing about pretty much any qaulity 2.5 or 2.0 shock from king, icon, fox, ads, or the like, is that they are all Valveable and rebuildable...and you can change them to how you them to ride.
I usually tend to overthink these things... :)
Once I get the Leaf Spring all dialed in, I'm leaning toward custom Kings in the rear.
Direct from King they start at $489.99 per side for a 2.5” body piggy back shock. I can't imagine I would want to many custom options to drive that price up. ??
Perhaps a vendor of theirs will have a sale I can take advantage of some day down the road.

To make a custom I was told I needed this info:
full extended dimension and compressed shock dimension from center of shock mounting points. Will be interesting measuring that out...

Last edited:

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Yes to do this, you can take the leaf pack apart install them and compress the main leaf to get your bump, at that point your bump is more imporant then your droop. Most of these shocks have spacers to control droop in them, They are all 8in body, or 10in body's, and so forth...

Yes to do this, you can take the leaf pack apart install them and compress the main leaf to get your bump, at that point your bump is more imporant then your droop. Most of these shocks have spacers to control droop in them, They are all 8in body, or 10in body's, and so forth...
I would hate to take apart a new leaf pack. Could I measure Bump using the OEM leaf pack? Has someone done this on a similar setup that I am considering? How critical is this measurement to actual performance?
Are the measurements on my current Bilsteins useful at all in this calc?

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I would hate to take apart a new leaf pack. Could I measure Bump using the OEM leaf pack? Has someone done this on a similar setup that I am considering? How critical is this measurement to actual performance?
Are the measurements on my current Bilsteins useful at all in this calc?
In short No...
Taking apart a brand new set of deavers, is a totally normal thing, even Icon Leaf packs are taken apart to add or subtract leafs. ITs really the only correct way to do it. you can take measurements just sitting at ride height...but normally since shocks move at a motion ratio do to them being angled, it wont be exact.

Flyer69

Observer
If you want to give it a go, its really not hard. Get a footlong piece of 1/2" or 9/16" allthread, some nuts and heavy washers. Clamp the pack together with c-clamps, then remove the center bolt and replace it w the allthread.
Back the nuts off to slack the springs and tighten it up to reassemble it. Hit the leafs w some paint while they are apart.
Thanks @Lotsoftoys..... not so sure I'm willing to tackle that on my own... :)

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online